Wednesday 11 February 2015

Finding Nemo



After his son is captured in the Great Barrier Reef and taken to Sydney, a timid clownfish sets out on a journey to bring him home.

MARLIN, the worry wart
CRUSH, the surfer dude turtle
DORRY, the adorable amnesiac
Coral, Nemo’s Mom
NEMO, the naïve explorer
SQUIRT, the pint sized buddy
GILL, the rebel
MR. RAY, the science teacher
BLOAT
DENTIST, the scuba diver
PEACH, the helper starfish
DARLA, the fish killer
GURGLE, the neat freak
TAD, the obnoxious friend
BUBBLES
PEARL, the inky friend
DEB and FLO, the split personality
SHELDON, the pony boy
JACQUES, the inspector
SCHOOL FLOCK
NIGEL, the Pelican Pal
SCHOOL OF FISH
BRUCE, the sketchy big guy

ANCHOR, the hammer head

CHUM, the shark buddy


SCENE
THE REEF.
MARLIN:
Look at it.
CORAL:
Um-hmm.
MARLIN:
Wow! Wow!
CORAL:
Yes Marlin, I see it, it’s beautiful.
MARLIN:
So Coral, when you said you wanted an ocean view, you didn’t think you’d get the whole ocean, did you? Huh?
Oh yea! A fish can breathe out here.
Did your old man deliver or did he deliver?
CORAL:
My man delivered.
MARLIN:
It wasn’t easy.
CORAL:
Because all the other clownfish had their eyes on this place.
MARLIN:
You better believe they did, every single one of them.
CORAL:
You did good and the neighbourhood is awesome.
MARLIN:
So you do like it, don’t you?
CORAL:
No no no, I do I do. I really like it but Marlin I know that the drop off is desirable and the great school, the amazing view but do we really need so much space?
 MARLIN:
Hold on honey these are our kids we are talking about. They deserve the best. They’ll wake up, look out of their house and they’ll see a whale swim right by the bedroom window! (EXCITED)
CORAL:
Shhh... You’ll wake the kids.
MARLIN:
Oh right.
CORAL:
Oh look they’re dreaming. We still have to name them.
MARLIN:
You want to name all of them right now? All right, we’ll name this half Marlin Junior and then this half, Coral Junior.
CORAL:
I like Nemo.
MARLIN:
Nemo? Well we’ll name one Nemo but I’d like most of them to be Marlin Junior.
CORAL:
Just think, in a couple of days we’ll be parents! (EXCITED)
MARLIN:
Yeah, what if they don’t like me?
CORAL:
Well there’s over 400 eggs, odds are one of them is bound to like you.
MARLIN:
Where did everybody go? Huh?
BIG UGLY FISH:
(SNARLING AT THEM)
MARLIN:
Get inside the house Coral, go.
CORAL:
(LOOKING AT THE EGGS)
MARLIN:
Coral don’t, they’ll be fine, just get inside the house, right now.
CORAL:
(RUSHES TOWARDS HER BABIES)
MARLIN:
No!
(BIG UGLY FISH KNOCKS MARLIN OUT OF THE WAY. MARLIN LOOSES CONSCIOUSNESS. STAGE GOES DARK. LONG PAUSE. REGAINS CONSCIOUSNESS. DIM LIGHT. MARLIN RE-GAINING CONSCIOUSNESS)
Coral? Coral… Coral… Coral? Huh!
(SEES A SINGLE BABY FISH)
There there there, it’s ok, daddy’s here, daddy’s got you, I promise I will not let anything happen to you Nemo.
(CURTAIN)

REEF. MORNING.
NEMO:
Dad we’ve to go, come on get up. It’s the first day of school.
MARLIN:
I don’t want to go to school, five more minutes.
NEMO:
Not you dad, me, get up, get up. Time for school, time for school, time for school. Oh boy-oh boy-oh boy-oh boy!
(TRIPS AND FALLS WHILST RUSHING AROUND IN EXCITEMENT)
MARLIN:
Nemo! (PANIC) Nemo don’t move, don’t move. I’ll help you I’ll help you. Alright, where’s the break? You feel a break? Sometimes you can’t tell
‘cause fluid is rushing to the area. Now, any rushing fluids?
NEMO:
No.
MARLIN:
Are you woozy?
NEMO:
No.
MARLIN:
How many stripes do I have?
NEMO:
I’m fine.
MARLIN:
Answer the stripe question.
NEMO:
Three
MARLIN:
No. See! Something is wrong with you. Do I have one, two, three, that’s all I have? Oh! You’re ok. How’s the lucky fin?
NEMO:
Lucky!
MARLIN:
Let’s see. (HIGH FIVE) Are you sure you want to go to school this year? There’s no problem if you don’t. You can wait five or six years.
NEMO:
Uh-h! Come on dad, it’s time for school.
MARLIN:
Hmm. Forgot to brush.
NEMO:
Aww…
MARLIN:
Do you want the Anemone to sting you?
NEMO:
Yes.
MARLIN:
Brush.
NEMO:
Uh!
MARLIN:
You missed a spot.
NEMO:
Where?
MARLIN:
There. (SMACKING HIM PLAYFULLY ON THE NOSE. BOTH LAUGH) Alright, we’re excited. First day of school, here we go we are ready to learn, get some knowledge. Now what’s the first thing we have to remember about the ocean?
NEMO:
It’s not safe.
MARLIN:
That’s my boy. So, first we check to see if the coast is clear, we go out and back in and then we go out and back in and then one more time, out and back in and sometimes, if you want to do it five times…
NEMO:
Da-ad.
MARLIN:
Alright come on boy.
NEMO:
Dad do you know when I’m at school I’ll see a shark.
MARLIN:
I highly doubt that.
NEMO:
Have you ever met a shark?
MARLIN:
No and I don’t plan to.
NEMO:
How about Sea Turtles?
MARLIN:
Sea Turtles? I don’t know them.
NEMO:
Shelly my friend from next door, he says that sea turtles, they live to be about one hundred years old.
MARLIN:
You know what, if I ever see a Sea Turtle, I’ll ask him after I’m done talking to the shark. Ok? Hold on, hold on, wait to cross, hold my fin, hold my fin.
NEMO:
Dad, you’re not going to freak out like you did at the petting zoo, are you?
MARLIN:
That snail was about to charge. Hmm I wonder where we are supposed to go.
MOTHER FISH:
(DROPPING OFF SIX BABY FISH)
SIX BABY FISH:
(TOGETHER) Bye Mum!
MOTHER FISH:
I’ll pick you up after school.
SHELDON SR:
(ENTER WITH TAD SR. AND PEARL SR.)
Come on you guys, stop it. Give it back.
TAD, SHEL, PEARL:
(ENTER TAD, PEARL AND SHELDON, PLAYING)
MARLIN:
(GOING OVER TO THREE FATHERS TALKING). Come on, we’ll try over there. Excuse me, is this where we meet the teacher?
SHELDON SR:
Well look whose out of the Anemone!
MARLIN:
Yes shocking I know.
SHELDON SR:
Marty right?
MARLIN:
Marlin.
PEARL SR:
Hey hi!
TAD SR:
Hey you’re a clown fish (LAUGHS). You’re funny right? Hey tell us a joke.
SHELDON SR:
Yea, yea.
PEARL SR:
Yea come on give us a little funny laugh.
MARLIN:
Well, I think that’s a common misconception. Clown fish are no funnier than any other fish.
TAD SR:
Ah! Come on clowny.
PEARL SR:
Yea, do something funny.
MARLIN:
All right. I know one joke. Haha. Erm, there is a mollusc see and he walks up to a sea, he doesn’t walk up, he swims up… well actually the mollusc isn’t moving, he’s in one place and then the Sea Cucumber, well they… (PAUSE) I’m mixed up… There was a mollusc and a Sea Cucumber. None of them were walking so forget that I…
SHELDON SR:
Sheldon get out of Mrs. Yohanson’s yard now!
(YELLS AT SHELDON, TAD AND PEARL)
NEMO:
Hey dad, can I go play too? Can I?
TAD:
What’s wrong with his fin?
SHELDON:
He looks funny. Ow! (SMACKED ON HEAD BY HIS SHELDON SR.)
Hey! What did I do?
SHELDON SR:
Be nice it’s his first time at school.
MARLIN:
He was born with it. We call it his lucky fin.
NEMO:
Da-ad.
PEARL:
See this tentacle, it’s actually shorter than all my other tentacles but you can’t really tell, especially when I trawl them like this.
SHELDON:
I’m H2O intolerant (SNEEZES)
TAD:
I’m obnoxious.
MR. RAY:
(ENTER SINGING WITH SCHOOLING FLOCK) Oh let’s name the zones,
The zones, the zones,
Let’s name the zones of the open sea!
ALL KIDS:
Mr. Ray!
SHELDON:
Come on Nemo.
MARLIN:
No no, you’ve got to stay with me.
MR. RAY:
(SINGING) It’s epilogist, mephatilogic, specifologic,
All the rest are too deep for you and me to see.
SCHOOL FLOCK:
(JUMPING FOR JOY)
MR. RAY:
Climb aboard explorers. (SINGING) All knowledge exploring is,
Oh! So lyrical when you think thoughts better empirical.
NEMO:
Dad you can go now.
MR. RAY:
Well hello! Who is this?
NEMO:
I’m Nemo.
MR. RAY:
Well Nemo, all new explorers must answer a science question.
NEMO:
Okay.
MR. RAY:
You live in what kind of home?
NEMO:
In an anem anna anam…
MR. RAY:
Ok ok, don’t hurt yourself. Welcome aboard explorer.
MARLIN:
Just so you know, he’s got a little fin. I find if he’s having trouble swimming I let him take a break, 10-15 minutes…
NEMO:
Dad! Dad it’s time for you to go now.
MR. RAY:
Don’t worry, we’re going to stay together as a group. Ok class, up to the Orbit’s upfront, we keep our secret visits to the gangland to ourselves, that means you Jimmy.
JIMMY:
Aww.
MALIN:
Bye Nemo.
NEMO:
Bye dad.
MARLIN:
Bye son, be safe.
SHELDON SR:
Hey you’re doing pretty well for a first timer.
MARLIN:
Well you can’t hold onto them forever, can you?
TAD SR:
Yea I had a tough time when my oldest first went to the drop off
MARLIN:
They’ve just got to grow up… the drop off! (SHRIEKS) They’re going to the drop off? What are you insane! Why don’t we just fry’em up now and serve them with chips.
SHELDON SR:
Hey Marlin, calm down.
MARLIN:
(EXITING STAGE.) Don’t tell me to be calm Poneyboy.
SHELDON:
Poneyboy!
PEARL SR:
You know for a clownfish, he really isn’t that funny.
TAD SR:
Pity. (EXIT TAD, PEARL, SHELDON)
MR. RAY, SCH. FLOCK:
(ENTER. SINGING) Oh! Let’s name the species, the species, the species,
Let’s name the species that live in the sea.
The collaron the hydrozone and schizoron,
All the rest are too deep for you and me to see.
Come on kids, sing with me. (KIDS WATCHING IN AMAZEMENT)
Ok the drop off. Alright kids, stay close but feel free to explore.
(SPOTTING SOMETHING AND SHOWING IT TOO THE KIDS)
Ah! Quickly gather. The entire ecosystem contained in one infinitesimal speck…
FLOCK:
Whoa.
TAD:
Come on let’s go. (EXITS. FOLLOWED BY SHELDON AND PEARL)
NEMO:
(FOLLOWS THEM. EXIT. CURTAIN)
NEMO:
Hey guys! Wait up.
SHELDON:
Whoa, cool.
TAD:
(PUSHING PEARL) Save your life!
PEARL:
(INKS AND CRIES) Aw. You guys made me ink.
SHELDON, TAD:
(LAUGHING)
NEMO:
What’s that?
TAD:
I know what that is oh! Oh! Sank and Plank saw one, he said it was called a boat.
PEARL, SHELDON:
Wow!
TAD:
That’s a pretty big boat.
SHELDON:
(MOVING TOWARDS THE BOAT)
Oh look at me, I’m going to go touch the boat! (SNEEZES. RUNS BACK IN FRIGHT).
ALL:
(LAUGH)
SHELDON:
Oh yea! Let’s see you get any closer.
PEARL:
(GOING OUT A STEP FURTHER) Beat that!
TAD:
(GOING OUT EVEN FURTHER) Nemo, how far can you go?
NEMO:
Oh my dad says it’s not safe.
MARLIN:
(ENTER. SCOLDING) Nemo! Nemo you were about to swim into open water.
NEMO:
No no, I wasn’t going out there.
MARLIN:
If I hadn’t shown up.
SHELDON:
Sir, he wasn’t going to go.
TAD:
Yea, he was too afraid.
NEMO:
(DEFIANTLY) No I wasn’t!
MARLIN:
This does not concern you kids and you’re lucky I don’t tell your parents you were out there. Nemo, you know you can’t swim well.
NEMO:
I can swim fine dad, ok.
MARLIN:
No it’s not ok. You shouldn’t be anywhere near here. I was right. You know what, you can start school in a year or two.
NEMO:
No dad! Just because you are scared of the ocean.
MARLIN:
Clearly, you’re not ready and you’re not coming back until you are. You think you can do these things but you just can’t, Nemo.
NEMO:
(SOFTLY) I hate you.
MR. RAY, FLOCK:
(ENTER. SENDS THE FLOCK AWAY) There’s nothing to see, gather up over there.
MR. RAY:
Excuse me, is there anything I can do? I am a scientist Sir, is there any problem?
MARLIN:
You know I’m sorry I didn’t mean to interrupt things. He isn’t a good swimmer and I just think it’s a little too soon for him to be out here unsupervised.
MR. RAY:
Well I can assure you he’s quite safe with me.
MARLIN:
Look I’m sure he is but you have a large class and he can get lost from the side if you’re not looking. Now I’m not saying you’re not looking…
TAD:
Oh my gosh! Nemo’s swimming out to sea!
MARLIN:
Nemo!  What do you think you are doing? You’re going to get stuck out there and I’m going to have to get you before another fish does. Get back here. I said get back here now! Stop! You make one more move mister, don’t you dare! If you put one fin on that boat, are you listening to me? Don’t touch the boat.
NEMO:
(TOUCHES THE BOAT WITH HIS FIN)
MARLIN:
Nemo!
TAD:
He touched the boat!
MARLIN:
You just paddle your tail right back here Nemo. That’s right. You are in big trouble young man. You hear me.
NEMO:
(SWIMMING BACK. A DIVER APPEARS BEHIND NEMO)
ALL:
(SCREAM)
NEMO:
(LOOKING BEHIND) Argh! Daddy! Dad help me.
MARLIN:
I’m coming Nemo.
MR. RAY:
Get behind me kids. (MR. RAY, FLOCK, EXIT)
NEMO:
(DIVER PUTS NEMO IN A BAG)
No no no no no. Dad! Help me. (EXIT DIVER AND NEMO)
MARLIN:
I’m coming Nemo. Nemo. Nemo. Nemo. No!
NEMO, Nemo, No!
(SWIMMING FAST AND PANTING. A MOTORBOAT IS HEARD. DIVER DROPS HIS GOGGLES INTO THE WATER. SOUND OF THE MOTOR BECOMES FAINT AND VANISHES.)
MARLIN:
Oh no. No it’s gone. It’s gone. No! Nemo! Nemo! Nemo! No! Nemo! No! Please no! (ADDRESSING FISH AROUND HIM) has anybody seen a boat? Please a white boat. It’s a big one. My son, I have to find my son. Help me, please.
DORRY:
(ENTER. MARLIN AND DORRY DASH AND FALL) Watch out! Argh!
MARLIN:
Uh-oh! Sorry. I didn’t see you.
DORRY:
Sir are you ok?
MARLIN:
Ah! The boat is gone, the boat is gone. (PANICKING)
DORRY:
It’s alright, it’ll be ok.
MARLIN:
No no, they took him away, I’ve got to find the boat.
DORRY:
Oh hey I’ve seen a boat.
MARLIN:
You have?
DORRY:
Ah-ha, it passed by not too long ago.
MARLIN:
A white one?
DORRY:
Hi! I’m Dorry.
MARLIN:
Where? Which way?
DORRY:
Oh! Oh it went this way. It went this way, follow me.
MARLIN:
Thank you! Thank you! Thank you so much!
DORRY:
No problem. (SWIMS. FOLLOWED BY NEMO BEHIND HER, GOING WHEREVER SHE GOES. DORRY STARTS TO DODGE MARLIN)
MARLIN:
Hey wait.
DORRY:
Will you quit it?
MARLIN:
What?
DORRY:
Trying to swim here. What ocean’s not big enough for you or something like that?
MARLIN:
Huh?
DORRY:
Do you have a problem buddy? Huh? Do ya? You want a piece of me? Yea ooo I’m scared now.
MARLIN:
Wait a minute.
DORRY:
Stop following me ok!
MARLIN:
What are you talking about? You’re showing me which way the boat went.
DORRY:
Boat? Hey! I’ve seen a boat it passed by not too long ago. It went erm this way, follow me.
MARLIN:
Wait a minute, wait a minute. What is going on? You already told me which way the boat is going. Wait…
DORRY:
I did? Erm…
MARLIN:
Is this some kind of practical joke it’s not funny and I know, I’m a Clownfish.
DORRY:
No it’s not, I know, it’s not, I’m so sorry. See, I suffer from short term memory loss.
MARLIN:
Short term memory loss. I don’t believe this!
DORRY:
No it’s true. I forget things almost instantly. It runs in my family. Well, I mean, atleast I think it does, erm, where are they? (LONG PAUSE).
Can I help you?
MARLIN:
Something’s wrong with you. Really you’re wasting my time. I have to find my son. (TURNS TO EXIT STAGE. COMES FACE TO FACE WITH A GIANT SHARK. GASPS)
Ah!
BRUCE:
Hello.
DORRY:
Well Hi!
BRUCE:
Name’s Bruce.
MARLIN, DORRY:
(BACKING AWAY)
BRUCE:
It’s alright, I understand. Why must you trust a shark right?
(SNAPS AT THEM TO FRIGHTEN THEM. LAUGHS).
So what’s a couple of bites like you doing out so late eh?
MARLIN:
Nothing, we’re doing nothing, we’re not even out.
BRUCE:
Great! Then how’d you morsels like to come to a little… a little get together I’m having.
DORRY:
You mean like a party?
BRUCE:
Yea yeah you’re right, a party. What do you say?
DORRY:
Oh I love parties. Sounds like fun.
MARLIN:
You know parties are fun and it sounds tempting but we can’t because…
BRUCE:
Oh! Ooo! Come on, I insist.
MARLIN:
Ok, that’s all that matters.
ALL:
(EXIT. CURTAIN)

SCENE
THE SHIP WRECK. PODIUM.
BRUCE, DOR, MARLIN:
(ENTER)
BRUCE:
Anchor! Chum!
ANCHOR:
There you are Bruce, finally.
BRUCE:
We’ve got company.
ANCHOR:
What? It’s a bad time mate.
CHUM:
We haven’t got any snacks and I am starving. Come on, let’s get this over with.
BRUCE:
(RINGING A BELL ONCE) Right then the meeting has officially come to order. Let us all say the pledge.
BRU, CHUM, ANCH:
I am a shark, not a mindless eating machine. If I am to change this image, I must first change myself. Fish are friends. Not food.
CHUM:
Except stinking dolphins.
ANCHOR:
Dolphins yea. They think they are soo cute.
CHUM:
(FLAPPING HIS FINS) Woo, look at me, I’m a flipping little dolphin.
BRUCE:
Hold it. Today’s meeting is step five. Bring a fish friend. Now, do you all have your friends?
ANCHOR:
Got mine. (EXPOSES A LITTLE FISH SHAKING WITH FRIGHT)
DORRY:
(TO FRIGHTENED LITTLE FISH) Hey there!
BRUCE:
How about you Chum?
CHUM:
Oh well I, erm... um… seemed to have misplaced my, erm friend
BRUCE:
It’s alright Chum. I had a feeling this would be a difficult step, you can help yourself to one of my friends. (SHOVES A FRIGHTENED LITTLE FISH OVER TO CHUM)
CHUM:
Oh thanks mate. A little tum for chum, eh.
BRUCE:
I’ll start the testimonies. Hello, my name is Bruce.
ALL:
Hello Bruce.
BRUCE:
It has been three weeks since my last fish, on my honour or may I be chopped up and made into a soup.
CHUM, ANCH:
(CLAPPING)
CHUM:
You are an inspiration to all of us.
BRUCE:
Go on then, who’s next?
DORRY:
Oh oh oh, pick me, pick me, pick me!
BRUCE:
Here’s the little Sheela down the front.
DORRY:
Ooh! (EXCITED)
BRUCE:
Come on up here.
DORRY:
Hi I’m Dorry and erm well, I don’t think I have ever eaten a fish. Ha-ha! (LAUGHS NERVOUSLY)
CHUM:
Hey that’s incredible.
BRUCE:
Ya mate.
DORRY:
(RELIEVED) I’m glad I got that off my chest.
BRUCE:
Alright anyone else? Hello how about you mate, what’s your problem?
MARLIN:
I don’t, I don’t have a problem
BRUCE:
Ooh! Ok
BRU, CHUM, ANCH:
(TOGETHER) Denial.
BRUCE:
(PUSHING HIM TO THE PODIUM) Just start with your name.
MARLIN:
Ok, erm… hello, my name’s Marlin, I’m a Clownfish.
CHUM:
Clownfish, really?
BRUCE:
Go on tell us a joke.
CHUM:
(CLAPS HAPPILY) Oh I love jokes.
MARLIN:
Well I actually do know one that’s quite good. There was this mollusc and he walks up to a sea cucumber. Normally they don’t talk but in a joke everyone talks. So the sea mollusc says to the cucumber…
(SPOTS THE DIVER’S MASK HANGING IN THE WRECK)
Nemo!
CHUM:
Nemo! (LAUGHS) I don’t get it.
BRUCE:
For a Clownfish he’s not that funny.
MARLIN:
No no no, Nemo’s my son. He was taken by the divers.
DORRY:
Oh my! You poor fish.
CHUM:
Humans think they own everything.
ANCHOR:
Probably American.
BRUCE:
Now there’s, a father looking for his boy.
MARLIN:
(STARING AT THE DIVER’S MASK) What do these markings mean?
BRUCE:
(STARTS TO CRY LOUDLY) I never knew my father!
CHUM:
(HUGGING BRUCE) Come here, we’re all mates here, mate.
MARLIN:
(HOLDING THE MASK) I can’t read human.
DORRY:
Well then, we have got to find a fish that can read this, hey look sharks.
MARLIN:
No no no.
DORRY:
Guy! Guys!
MARLIN:
No Dorry no.
DORRY:
Give it to me! (PULLS THE MASK FROM MARLIN. IT HITS HER NOSE AND CAUSES SLIGHT BLEEDING)
Ouch!
MARLIN:
Are you ok? Sorry.
DORRY:
I really caught one there. Is it bleeding?
BRUCE:
Dorry are you ok? Oh. That’s good. (SNIFFS THE BLOOD)
ANCH, CHUM:
(HOLD BRUCE BACK FROM ATTACKING DORRY) Intervention.
BRUCE:
Just a bite.
ANCH:
Fish are friends, not food.
CHUM:
Dorry look out.
BRUCE:
I’m having fish tonight.
DORRY, MARLIN:
(SEARCH HURRIEDLY FOR AN EXIT)
DORY:
(READING) S-Ca-Pe
MARLIN:
Oh no! It’s blocked! There’s no way out, there’s got to be an escape. Dorry help me find a way out.
BRUCE:
I’m having fish tonight.
ANCH:
Hurry!
DORRY:
Look here’s something. S-K-Pe. I wonder what that means, it’s funny it’s spelt just like the work escape.
BRUCE:
Here’s Brucey. (ALMOST ESCAPING ANCHOR AND CHUM)
MARLIN:
Wait a minute, you can read?
DORRY:
I can read? I can read!
MARLIN:
Well read this now.
BRUCE:
(BREAKS FREE. CHASES MARLIN)
DORRY:
Marlin!
MARLIN:
(BEING CHASED BY BRUCE) Just read it!
DORRY:
Ok ok, Mr. Bossy. P… erm P Sher, my hmm, P erm… oh! This first line’s P. Sherman.
MARLIN:
(ESCAPING BRUCE) P. Sherman doesn’t make any sense.
DORRY:
42…
MARLIN:
(BEING CHASED BY BRUCE) Don’t eat me, don’t eat me.
DORRY:
42, Wallaby Way…
MARLIN:
That’s great. Let’s finish up here, speed read.
DORRY:
C... C..C… Cid Sydney!
CHUM, ANCH:
(GRAB AND HOLD BRUCEY)
MARLIN:
Whoop we did it. Dorry, so what did it say?
DORRY:
P. Sherman, 42 Wallaby Way, Sydney. Huh! I remembered what it said!
MARLIN:
Wait. Now where is that? (CURTAINS)

SCENE
TANK. DENTIST’S OFFICE.            
NEMO:
(WAKING UP) Dad. Daddy?
DENTIST:
Hello little fella, beauty isn’t he? I found that guy struggling for life out in the reef and I saved him. So that novocaine hit you yet?
PATIENT:
(LAUGHING.)
BUBBLES:
(A TREASURE CHEST OPENS IN THE FISH TANK AND BUBBLES APPEAR. DASHES PAST NEMO) Bubbles, bubbles, my bubbles. My bubbles!
PEACH:
He likes bubbles
NEMO:
(SCARED) Ah!
JACQUES:
Bonjour.
NEMO:
Help! Ah! (HIDES)
BLOAT:
Slow down little fella, there’s nothing to worry about.
DEB:
Oh he’s scared too death.
NEMO:
(CRYING) I want to go home. Do you know where my dad is?
PEACH:
Honey, your dad is probably back at the pet store.
NEMO:
Pet store?
BLOAT:
Ya, you know, I’m from Bob’s fish market.
GURGLE:
Hep Pals.
BUBBLES:
The river.
PEACH:
EBay.
GURGLE:
So, which one is it?
NEMO:
From the ocean.
GURGLE:
The ocean! Argh! He hasn’t been decontaminated yet. Jacque!
JACQUES:
Oui.
GURGLE:
Clean up.
JACQUES:
Oui! (DECONTAMINATES NEMO) Voila! He is clean.
BUBBLES:
Wow the big blue, what’s it like?
NEMO:
Erm, big and blue.
BUBBLES:
I knew it! I knew it!
DEB:
Anything you need just ask your aunty Deb here, he-he, that’s me ha-ha or if I’m not around, you can always talk to my sister Flo.
(TALKING TO HER REFLECTION) Hi how are ya?
(TO NEMO) Don’t listen to anything my sister says. She’s just nuts. (LAUGHS NUTTILY)
PEACH:
We’ve got a live one.
BUBBLES:
Yes!
BLOAT:
Oh boy, oh boy, oh boy.
DEB:
What have we got?
PEACH:
Root canal and by the looks of those x-rays it’s not going to be pretty.
PATIENT:
Ah!
GURGLE:
Ugh! The human mouth is a disgusting place.
NIGEL:
What did I miss? Am I late?
GURGLE:
Hey Nigel.
PEACH:
Root canal and it’s a doozy
NIGEL:
Hello! Who’s this?
DEB:
New guy.
BLOAT:
The dentist took him off the reef.
NIGEL:
Well howdy. From my neck of the woods. Sorry if I ever took a snap at you. Fish got to swim, birds got to eat.
DENTIST:
Hey! No no no no! They’re not your fish, they are my fish. Come on, go. Go on. Shoo shoo.
(PICTURE FRAME FALLS OF THE WINDOW LEDGE AND CRASHES. SHOWS THE PICTURE TO NEMO).
Hey little fella, say hello to your new mommy. This here’s a picture of Darla, she’s my niece and she’s going to be eight this week. She’s going to be here Friday to pick you up. You’re her present.
BLOAT:
Oh Darla! (BLOATS UP WITH FRIGHT)
NEMO:
(LOOKING AT THE PICTURE) What’s wrong with her?
BUBBLES:
She wouldn’t stop shaking the bag. Poor chuckles.
DEB:
He was her present last year.
BLOAT:
He hitched a ride, right on the porcelain express (FLUSH SOUND HEARD)
GURGLE:
She’s a fish killer.
NEMO:
(PANICKS) I can’t go with that girl. I have to get back to my dad.
(GETS CAUGHT IN THE FILTER PIPE) Ah! Dad! Dad! Help me.
GILL:
(ENTER) Nobody touch him.
NEMO:
(STRUGGLING AND GRUNTING) Can you help me?
GILL:
No. You got yourself in there, you can get yourself out.
DEB:
Uh Gill…
GILL:
I just want to see him do it, ok? (TO NEMO) Calm down. Alternate wiggling your fins and your tail.
NEMO:
I can’t, I have a bad fin.
GILL:
(SHOWS NEMO HIS BAD FIN) Never stopped me. Just think about what you need to do.
NEMO:
(GRUNTS, STRUGGLES, BREAKS FREE)
GILL:
Perfect.
BUBBLES:
You did it!
DEB:
Good swimming (LAUGHS)
PEACH:
Wow, from the ocean, just like you Gill.
GILL:
Yeah... ha-ha…
PEACH:
I’ve seen that look before, what are you thinking about?
GILL:
I’m thinking tonight we give the kid a proper reception.
BLOAT:
So kid you got a name or what?
NEMO:
Nemo, I’m Nemo. (SLEEPILY)
ALL:
(GREET NEMO. DARKNESS FALLS, EVERYONE IS ASLEEP. DIM LIGHT)
JACQUES:
Psst. Nemo.
NEMO:
Hmm
JACQUES:
Nemo.
NEMO:
Hey
JACQUES:
Swim et moi, follow me.

(TRIBAL CHANTING. ALL TANK FISH.) Wahu-ahi-woh-ho-ho-ho, wahu-ahi-woh-ho-ho-ho,
(REPEAT)
GILL:
(STANDING AT THE HEAD OF THE GROUP IN FRONT OF THE RING OF FIRE) State your name.
NEMO:
Nemo.
GILL:
Brother Bloat proceed.
BLOAT:
Nemo, new comer of orange and white. You have been called forth to the summit of Mount Wakalugi, to join with us in fraternal bonds of tankhood.
NEMO:
Huh?
PEACH:
We want you to join our club kid.
NEMO:
Really?
BLOAT:
If, you are able to swim through the ring of fire! (DRAMATICALLY POINTS TO THE RING OF FIRE. NOTHING HAPPENS. TO JACQUES) Turn on the ring of fire!
JACQUES:
Oh!
ALL:
The Ring OF Fire. Wahu-ahi-woh-ho-ho-ho, wahu-ahi-woh-ho-ho-ho, (REPEAT)
NEMO:
(DASHES THROUGH EASILY)
GILL:
From this moment on, you will now be known as Shark Bait.
ALL:
Shark Bait. Woh-ha-ha!
GILL:
Welcome brother Shark Bait.
ALL:
Shark Bait. Woh-ha-ha!
GILL:
Enough with the Shark Bait
GURGLE:
Shark Bait. Woh … sorry.
GILL:
Ok. Shark Bait’s one of us now. Agreed?
ALL:
Agreed.
GILL:
Then we can’t send him off to his death. Darla is coming in five days, so, what are we going to do? (SILENCE. LONG PAUSE) I’ll tell you what we are going to do. We’re going to get him out of here. We’re going to help him escape.
NEMO:
Escape? Really?
GURGLE:
Gill please, not another one of your escape plans.
DEB:
Sorry but they never work out.
BLOAT:
Yea. Why should this be any different?
GILL:
‘Cause we’ve got him.
NEMO:
Me?
GILL:
You see that filter?
NEMO:
Yea.
GILL:
You’re the only one who can get in and out of there, I think. What we need you to do is take a pebble, get inside the engine and the gears. You do that and this tanks going to get filthier and filthier by the minute. Pretty soon the dentist will have to clean the tank himself and when he does, he’ll take us out of the tank and put us into individual baggies, then we’ll roll ourselves down the counter, out of the window, off the awning, into the bushes, across the street and into the harbour. If it’s fool proof, who’s with me?
BLOAT:
I
DEB:
I
BUBBLES:
I
GURGLE:
I think you’re nuts. No offense kid but erm, you’re not the best swimmer.
GILL:
He’s fine. He can do this. So shark bait, what do you think?
NEMO:
Let’s do it. (CURTAIN)

SCENE
OCEAN.
DORRY:
P. Sherman, 42 Wallaby Way, Sydney. (REPEATS 4 TIMES)
Where are you going?
MARLIN:
I’m…
DORRY:
I’m going to Sydney, if you’re asking where I’m going. I’ll tell you, that’s where I’m going. P. Sherman, 42 Wallaby Way, Sydney.
SCHOOL OF FISH:
(ENTER)
MARLIN:
Excuse me, excuse me. Hi!
DORRY:
I’m off to P. Sherman, Wallaby Way, Sydney.
SCHOOL OF FISH:
(IGNORE MARLIN. EXIT STAGE)
MARLIN:
Wait wait can you tell me. I’m trying to talk to you.
SCHOOL OF FISH:
(RE-APPEAR.)
MARLIN:
Fellas come back here, please, just one question… (SHCOOL IGNORE MARLIN AGAIN. EXIT)
They’re gone again. (SIGHS HOPELEESLY)
DORRY:
P. Sherman, 42 Wallaby Way, Sydney. Why do I have to tell you over and over again? I don’t get tired of it to be sure.
MARLIN:
Okay, alright, here’s the thing. I think it’s best if I, if I just carry on from here by myself…
DORRY:
Ok.
MARLIN:
…you know, alone. Not without you ofcourse, but without you.
DORRY:
(UPSET) Huh? You want me to leave?
MARLIN:
I mean not… yes, yea I just want, you know I can’t afford any more delays and you’re one of the fish that causes delays. Sometimes it’s a good thing. There’s a whole group of fish, they’re delay fish.
DORRY:
(CRYING) You mean you don’t like me?
MARLIN:
Oh ofcourse I like you, it’s because I like you I don’t want to be with you. It’s a complicated emotion. Uh don’t cry, I like you.
SCHOOL:
(RE-ENTER) Hey You! Lady is this guy bothering you?
DORRY:
Erm, I don’t remember, were you?
MARLIN:
No no no no we’re just… hey do you guys know how I can get to…
SCHOOL:
Pal we are talking to the lady, not you.
MARLIN:
Would somebody please give me directions?
SCHOOL:
(MIMICING MARLIN) Would somebody please give me directions?
DORRY:
(LAUGHS)
SCHOOL:
Blah blah blah. Bi bi blah.
MARLIN:
Thank you! (TURNS TO LEAVE)
DORRY:
Oh dear. Hey come back, hey, what’s the matter?
MARLIN:
What’s the matter? While they’re doing their silly little impressions, I am miles from home with a fish that can’t even remember her own name!
DORRY:
Boy I bet that’s frustrating.
MARLIN:
Yes, meanwhile my son is out there.
DORRY:
Your son Cheeko?
MARLIN:
Nemo.
DORRY:
Right. Got it.
MARLIN:
But it doesn’t matter because no fish in this entire ocean is going to help me.
DORRY:
Well I’m helping you. Wait right here. (TO SCHOOL OF FISH) Guys!
SCHOOL:
What is he bothering you again?
DORRY:
No no he’s a good guy. Go easy on him he’s lost his son Fabio. Any of you heard of P. Sherman, 42 Wallaby Way Sydney?
SCHOOL:
Sydney, oh sure. My friend here’s got relatives in Sydney. Don’t you Ted?
TED:
Sure do.
DORRY:
Oh hey! They know Sydney.
MARLIN:
(THRILLED. GASPS)
DORRY:
You wouldn’t know how to get there would you?
TED:
What you wanna do is follow the E.A.C., that’s the East Australian Current. Big current. Can’t miss it. It’s in that direction and then you got to follow that for about, I don’t know what do you guys think?
SCHOOL:
About 3 days, yea yea.
TED:
Then you got to hitch a ride past Sydney.
MARLIN:
Great, that’s great, Dorry you did it.
DORRY:
Oh please! I’m just your little helper. Helping along, that’s me.
MARLIN:
Hey listen fellas thank you.
SCHOOL:
Don’t mention it and erm loosen up, ok? (EXIT MARLIN)
DORRY:
Oh you guys really helped him. Bye.
SCHOOL:
Oh hey!
DORRY:
Yes?
SCHOOL:
When you come to the trench, swim through it, not around it.
DORRY:
Trench, through it, not around it. I’ll remember. Hey, wait up partner, hold on. Wait, I got to tell you something. Wo! Nice trench. Hello! (ECHO HEARD. Hello hello hello). Ok let’s go.
MARLIN:
No no. bad trench, bad trench, come on, we’re going to swim around this thing.
DORRY:
Whoa partner. Little red flag going up. Something’s telling me we should swim through it. Not around it.
MARLIN:
Are you even looking at this thing? It’s got death written all over it.
DORRY:
I’m sorry but I really really really think we should swim through.
MARLIN:
And I’m really really done talking about this. Around we go.
DORRY:
Come on, trust me on this.
MARLIN:
Trust you?
DORRY:
Yes trust. It’s what friends do.
MARLIN:
Look! Something shiny.
DORRY:
What? Where?
MARLIN:
Swim around the trench come on we’ll follow it.
DORRY:
But… ok! (SWIM AROUND THE TRENCH) Boy sure is clear around here.
MARLIN:
Exactly and look at that. There’s the current. We should be there in no time.
DORRY:
(ENTER BABY JELLYFISH) Hey little guy.
MARLIN:
You wanted to go through the trench.
DORRY:
I shall call him squishy and he shall be mine. He shall be my squishy. Come here squishy, come here little squishy, so sweet… ow!
MARLIN:
Dorry that’s a jellyfish!
DORRY:
Bad squishy. Bad squishy.
MARLIN:
(SMACKS IT AWAY) Shoo, shoo. Come here, let me see that.
DORRY:
Don’t touch it, don’t touch it.
MARLIN:
I won’t touch it. I just want to look.
DORRY:
Hey how come it didn’t sting you?
MARLIN:
It did. It’s just that I live in the anemone and I’m used to these kind of stings. Come here.
DORRY:
Ow-ow!
MARLIN:
It doesn’t look bad, you’ll be fine but now we know, don’t we?
DORRY:
Yeah.
MARLIN:
That we don’t want to touch these again. Let’s be thankful this time it was just a little one. Argh!! (BIG JELLYFISH APPEAR EVERYHERE)
MARLIN:
Don’t move this is bad Dorry.
DORRY:
Hey watch this. Boing, boing, boing boing, boing.
MARLIN:
Dorry don’t bounce on the tops… hey! The tops don’t sting you. That’s it! Dorry listen to me. I have an idea, a game.
DORRY:
A game?
MARLIN:
A game. Yes.
DORRY:
Ah I love games. Pick me.
MARLIN:
Alright here’s the game, erm whoever can hop the fastest out of these jellyfish wins.
DORRY:
Ok, ok, ok.
MARLIN:
Rules rules. You can’t touch the tentacles, only the tops.
DORRY:
Got it, on your marks get set go.
MARLIN:
Wait. Wait.
DORRY:
Better be faster if you want to win.
MARLIN:
Just be careful.
DORRY:
Careful that I don’t make you cry when I win. Ha-ha.
MARLIN:
I don’t think so.
DORRY:
Whoop. Give it up old man. By evolution I was built for speed.
MARLIN:
The question is Dorry, are you hungry?
DORRY:
Hungry?
MARLIN:
Yeah cause you are about to eat my bubbles. (DASHES AHEAD. EXITS STAGE. DORRY EXITS BEHIND HIM. EXIT JELLYFISH. MARLIN RE-ENTERS STAGE ALONE) The clownfish is the winner. Whoop hoo. We did it. Dorry? Dorry. Dorry. Oh no!
(EXITS. MARLIN IS HEARD SCREAMING IN PAIN. RE-ENTER MARLIN WITH DORRY)
DORRY:
Ooh am I disqualified?
MARLIN:
No, you’re doing fine. You’re actually winning but you got to stay awake. Where does P. Sherman live?
DORRY:
P. Sherman, Wallaby Way.
MARLIN:
That’s it, stay awake, stay awake.
DORRY:
P. Sherman
MARLIN:
Sta-ay awa-ake. (DARKNESS. CURTAIN)


SCENE
E.A.C. STREAM.
CRUSH:
Dude.
MARLIN:
(MOANING. WAKING UP) What happened?
CRUSH:
Oh he lives! Hey dude. We saw the whole thing dude. First you were like -whoa and then you were like whoa.
MARLIN:
What are you talking about?
CRUSH:
You miniman, taking on the jellies. You got serious thrill issues dude. Awesome.
MALIN:
Ooh my stomach. Ooh.
CRUSH:
Oh man. Hey no hurling on the shell dude ok? Just waxed it.
MARLIN:
So Mr. Turtle.
CRUSH:
Oh hey, Mr. Turtle is my father, name’s Crush.
MARLIN:
Crush. Really? Ok. Crush listen. I need to get to the East Australian Current. E.A.C.?
CRUSH:
(LAUGHING) Dude! You are right in it. Check it out. (TURTLES ALL SWIMMING IN A WINDING STREAM.)
So what brings you this fine day to the E.A.C?
MARLIN:
Well Dorry and I need to get to Sydney. Ah! Dorry, Dorry is she alright?
CRUSH:
Oh-oh little blue, she is sub level dude.
MARLIN:
Dorry.
DORRY:
(LYING MUTTERING. WOUNDED.)
MARLIN:
I’m so sorry. This is all my fault. It’s my fault.
DORRY:
(SOFTLY AT FIRST) Six, seven, twenty-eight, twenty-nine, thirty. Ready or not, here I come! There you are!
(SWIMS AWAY TO PLAY WITH THE LITTLE SQUIRTS)
MARLIN:
(HAPPY. LAUGHING. SUDDENLY ONE LITTLE SQUIRT GETS FLUNG OUT OF THE STREAM. EXIT)
Oh my goodness, oh my goodness. (PANICS)
CRUSH:
Kill the motor dude. Let’s see what squirt does flying solo.
SQUIRT:
(RE-ENTERS STREAM) Wheee! That was so cool. Hey dad did you see that? Did you see me? Did you see what I did?
CRUSH:
You so totally rocked, squirt! Gimme some fin (HIGH FIVE), noggin (HEAD KNOCK)
SQUIRT, CRUSH:
(TOGETHER) Dude!
CRUSH:
Intro, Jellyman offspring, offspring jellyman. Curl away my son. (SQUIRT RUNS OFF) It’s awesome jellyman. Little dudes are just eggs. Leave them on a beach to hatch and coo-coo-cachoo, they find their way back into the big old blue.
MARLIN:
All by themselves?
CRUSH:
Yeah!
MARLIN:
But dude how do you know when they are ready?
CRUSH:
Well you never really know but when they know, you know.
DORRY:
Look everybody it’s the jellyman. Go jump on him.
SQUIRT1:
Mr. Fish did the Jellyman sting you?
SQUIRT2:
Mr. Fish did you die?
MARLIN:
Hey one at a time.
DORRY:
Sorry I got a little big on the details.
SQUIRT3:
So where are you going?
MARLIN:
You see my son was taken by someone. He was taken away from me.
SQUIRTS:
(GASPING)
DORRY:
No way!
SQUIRT4:
What happened?
MARLIN:
No-no kids I don’t want to talk about it.
SQUIRTS, DORRY:
Oh man! Please!
MARLIN:
(SIGHS) Well ok, I live on this reef a long, long way from here.
DORRY:
Oh boy. This is going to be good, I can tell.
MARLIN:
My son Nemo he was mad at me and maybe he wouldn’t have done it if I hadn’t been so tough on him, I don’t know. Anyway, he swam out in the open water to this boat and when he was out there these divers appeared and I tried to stop them but the boat was too fast so I swam out in the ocean…
SQUIRT:
(RETAYING THE STORY TO A PASSING FISH) …and he couldn’t stop them and then Nemo’s dad out in the ocean bumped into three sharks.
FISH:
(RELATING THE STORY TO PASSING EEL) … ferocious sharks. They escape the sharks…
EEL:
God that’s amazing.
EEL2:
(RELATING THE STORY TO PASSING DOLPHIN1, DOLPHIN2) Then dived into thousands of feet and then he had to blast his way through jellyfish.
DOLPHIN1:
(RELATING THE STORY TO SEA GULL) Searching the ocean for days
DOLPHIN2:
On the East Australian Current
SEA GULL:
Which means he may be on his way here right now.
PELICAN:
He should be in Sydney Harbour in a matter of days. This guy will stop at nothing until he finds his son.
PELICAN2:
There’s one dedicated father if you ask me. The kid’s name is Nemo.
NIGEL:
(ENTER) Nemo! Hey say that again, what was it?
PELICAN1:
Last I heard he’s heading towards the harbour.
NIGEL:
Whoa. Brilliant. (FLIES OFF)
CRUSH:
Alright we’re here dude, you’re ready, your exits coming up man.
MARLIN:
Where? I don’t see it.
DORRY:
Right there, I see it, I see it.
MARLIN:
You mean the swirling vortex of terror?
CRUSH:
That’s it dude.
MARLIN:
Ofcourse it is!
CRUSH:
First find your exit buddy.
MARLIN, DORRY:
(GRAB EACH OTHER)
CRUSH:
Do you have your exit buddy?
DORRY:
Yes!
CRUSH:
Ok. Squirt here, will now give you a rundown on proper exiting techniques.
SQUIRT:
Good afternoon, we’re going to have a great jump today. Ok. Great. Fall and cut back when you hit the wall in the spinning bottom, gauge to watch out. Remember, ripping, rolling and punching.
CRUSH:
Ok jellyman. Go! Go! Go! Go! Go! (EXIT TURTLES)
MARLIN, DORRY:
Whoop ah!
MARLIN:
(LAUGHING) That was fun. I really enjoyed that.
DORRY:
Hey look the turtles.
CRUSH:
(EXITS LAUGHING) Most excellent. Now turn your fishy tails around and swim and spread on through to Sydney. No worries man.
MARLIN:
No worries. Thank you Dude, Crush.
DORRY:
Bye everyone.
MARLIN:
Oh Nemo would have loved this. Hey crush! I forgot, how old are you?
CRUSH:
150 dude and still young.
MARLIN:
150. I’ve got to remember that.
DORRY:
Are we going to swim to Sydney?
MARLIN:
Yup, we’re going to just swim straight. (SWIMMING IN CIRCLES)
Boy this is taking a while. Wait I have definitely seen this floating speck before. That means we passed it before and that means we’re going in circles and that means we are not going straight. We’ve got to get to the surface. Come on.
DORRY:
Hey.
MARLIN:
What?
DORRY:
Relax take a deep breath. Now let’s ask somebody for directions.
MARLIN:
Oh fine. Who do you want to ask? The speck? There’s nobody here.
DORRY:
Well there has to be someone it’s the ocean silly, we’re not the only two here. Let’s see ok.
(LOOKING LEFT) No one here.
(LOOKING CENTER) No one there.
(LOOKING RIGHT) Nope, nada. Huh! There’s somebody. Hey excuse…
MARLIN:
Dorry ok. It’s a fish we don’t know, if we ask directions it could ingest us and spit out our bones.
DORRY:
What is it with men and asking for directions?
MARLIN:
I don’t want to play the general card right now. You want to play a card, let’s play the let’s not die card.
DORRY:
You want to get out of here don’t you?
MARLIN:
Ofcourse I do.
DORRY:
How are you going to do that unless we give it a shot and hope for the best, hmm? Hmm?
MARLIN:
But Dorry you don’t fully understand.
DORRY:
Come on, trust me on this.
MARLIN:
(HESITANTLY) Alright.
DORRY:
Excuse me, woohoo, little fella. Hello. (TO MARLIN) Don’t be rude. Say Hi!
MARLIN:
Hello.
DORRY:
His son Bingo…
MARLIN:
Nemo…
DORRY:
…Nemo was taken to Sydney yes and it’s really important that we get there fast as we can, so can you help us out?
MARLIN:
Dorry I’m a little fella, I don’t think that’s a little fella.
WHALE:
(SOUND)
DORRY:
Oh big fella. Whale. Ok. Maybe he only speaks whale. (SPEAKING IN WHALE) Caaan yooou heeelp usss tooo fiiind hiiis sooon?
MARLIN:
Dorry heaven knows what you are saying. He’s swimming away.
DORRY:
Cooome baaak. (CHOKING)
MARLIN:
He’s not coming back maybe you offended him.
DORRY:
Maybe a different dialect. (DEEPER WHALE SOUNDS)
MARLIN:
Dorry you are not speaking whale, that sounds like an upset stomach.
DORRY:
Try humpback.
MARLIN:
No don’t try humpback.
DORRY:
(MAKING WHALE SOUNDS) Too orca-ish?
MARLIN:
No it doesn’t sound like Orca. Stop! He might be hungry.
DORRY:
Don’t worry, whales don’t eat clownfish they eat krill.
CRILL:
(ENTER) Swim away. (EXIT)
DORRY:
Oh look Krill.
MARLIN:
Move Dorry move, move. Argh!
DORRY:
Argh! (LIGHTS VERY DIM. WAVE SOUNDS)
MARLIN:
Dorry we’re in a whale. Don’t you get it?
DORRY:
Whale?
MARLIN:
A whale. Presumably because you asked for help and now we are stuck here.
DORRY:
A whale? You know I speak whale.
MARLIN:
No! You are insane. You can’t speak whale. I have to get out. I have to find my son. I have to tell him how cool the Sea Turtles are. (SIGHS SADLY)
DORRY:
Hey! You ok? There it’s alright, it’ll be ok.
MARLIN:
No it won’t.
DORRY:
Sure it will. You’ll see.
MARLIN:
No no, I promised him I‘d never let anything happen to him.
DORRY:
Huh, that’s a funny thing to promise.
MARLIN:
What?
DORRY:
Well you can’t never have anything happen to him. Then nothing would ever happen to him. Not much fun for little Harpo.
WHALE:
(SOUND)
DORRY:
Hmm?
MARLIN:
What’s going on?
DORRY:
I don’t know, I’ll have to ask him. (SPEAKING WHALE)
WHALE:
(SOUND)
DORRY:
I think he says we’ve stopped.
MARLIN:
Ofcourse we’ve stopped. Stop trying to speak whale. You’ll make things worse.
WHALE:
(GURGLING SOUND HEARD)
MARLIN:
What’s that noise? Oh no! Look what you did. The water level’s going down. It’s going down.
DORRY:
Really? Are you sure about that?
MARLIN:
It’s half empty.
DORRY:
Hmm, one can say it’s half full.
MARLIN:
Stop that! It’s half empty.
WHALE:
(SOUND)
DORRY:
Ok that one was a little tougher. He either said we can go to the back of the throat or he wants a roofier float.
MARLIN:
Ofcourse he wants us to go there. That’s eating us. What is going on? (HUGE WAVE SOUND. DARKNESS)
DORRY:
Ok he says it’s time to let go, everything’s going to be alright.
(LARGE WAVE SOUND. BIG SPLASH SOUND. OCEAN)
MARLIN:
(LAUGHING) We’re alive!
DORRY:
Look! Sydney!
MARLIN:
You were right. Dorry we made it. We’re going to find my son. Ok all we have got to do is find the boat that took him.
DORRY:
Right!
MARLIN:
Come on Dorry, we can do this. (CURTAIN)

SCENE
TANK. DENTIST’S OFFICE.            
GILL:
You miss your dad don’t you shark bait?
NEMO:
Yeah
GILL:
Well you’re lucky to have someone out there looking for you.
NEMO:
He’s not looking for me. He’s scared of the ocean.
GILL:
My first escape, I landed on the dentists tools. I was aiming for the toilet.
NEMO:
Toilet?
GILL:
All drains lead to the ocean kid.
NEMO:
Wow, how many times have you tried to get out?
GILL:
Ah! I’ve lost count. We’re not meant to be in box kid. It does things to you.
BUBBLES:
(GOING CRAZY OVER HIS BUBBLES) My bubbles, my bubbles.
NIGEL:
(CRASHING IN AT THE WINDOW) Hey psst!
PEACH:
Oh Nigel you missed an extraction.
NIGEL:
Nemo, where’s Nemo? I’ve got to speak with him.
NEMO:
What is it?
NIGEL:
Your Dad has been fighting the entire ocean looking for you.
NEMO:
My father?
ALL:
(GASP)
NEMO:
Really?
GURGLE:
Really.
NIGEL:
Oh yeah, travelled hundreds of miles. He’s been battling sharks and jellyfish.
NEMO:
Sharks? That can’t be him.
NIGEL:
You sure? What was his name? Sounded like a sport fish or something. Tuna? Trout?
NEMO:
Marlin! (EXCITEDLY)
NIGEL:
Yes Marlin, the little Clownfish from the reef.
NEMO:
That’s my dad, he took on a shark!
NIGEL:
I heard he took on three.
ALL:
Three? Three! Three!!
GILL:
Three sharks?
BLOAT:
That’s got to be four thousand eight hundred keys.
NIGEL:
You see kid, after you were taken from the down under, your dad followed the boat like a maniac.
NEMO:
Really?
NIGEL:
He’s swimming and he’s swimming and word is he’s headed right your way. Right now. To Sydney.
DEB:
(HAPPY. LAUGHING) Wow!
GILL:
That’s your cue shark bait.
BLOAT:
You can do it.
GILL:
Now we’ve got to be quick. You get into the filter. You swim down to the bottom of the chamber and I’ll talk you through the rest.
NEMO:
Ok.
GILL:
Come on and it’ll be a piece of Gill.
NEMO:
(JUMPS INTO THE FILTER. EXIT STAGE)
GURGLE:
Nicely done.
GILL:
Can you hear me?
NEMO:
(VOICE HEARD) Here comes the pebble.
GILL:
Now, do you see a small opening?
NEMO:
Um-hmm
GILL:
Ok. Inside it you will see a rotating fan. Very carefully wedge that pebble into the fan to stop it from turning.
NEMO:
Argh. I can’t.
GILL:
Try again, nice and easy.
NEMO:
I got it. I got it.
BUBBLES:
He did it. He did it.
GILL:
That’s great kid, now swim up the tube and out. Nemo, can you hear me? Nemo?
NEMO:
(BEHIND GILL) Yes I can hear you.
GURGLE:
Shark bait you did it and you’re covered with germs. Argh!
ALL:
(LAUGHING. EXCITED)
GILL:
That took guts kid. Alright gang, we have less than forty-eight hours before Darla the fish killer gets here. This tank will get plenty dirty in that time but we have to help it along anyway we can. Jacques?
JACQUES:
Oui.
GILL:
No cleaning.
JACQUES:
I weeel resist.
GILL:
Everybody else be as gross as possible. Think dirty thoughts. We’re going to make this tank so filthy that the dentist will have to clean it.
BLOAT:
Burp!
GILL:
Good work.
DENTIST:
(ENTER) Crickey! What a state. Ooh! Barbara, what’s my earliest appointment tomorrow?
BARBARA:
(VOICE) …erm, ten o’clock love.
DENTIST:
Leave it open would you? I’ve got to clean the fish tank before Darla gets here.
GILL:
Hey. Did you hear that Shark Bait?
NEMO:
He’s going to clean the shark tank, we’re going to be cleaned.
GILL:
Are you ready to see your dad Gill?
NEMO:
Uh huh. (SLEEPILY)
GILL:
Ofcourse you are! Good night now. (DARKNESS. LONG PAUSE. BIRDS CHIRPING)
PEACH:
(WAKING UP. MORNING. YAWNING) Morning, it’s morning everyone. There’s the day. The sun is shining, the tank is clean and we are getting out of here... (GASPS) ... the tank is clean. The tank is clean! (SHRIEKS)
DEB:
But how? (LARGE FILTER VISIBLE. ALL STARE AT IT)
GILL:
He must have installed it last night whilst we were sleeping.
NEMO:
What are we going to do?
GILL:
What’s it say Peach?
PEACH:
The Aqua Scum 2014 is an all-purpose, all cleaning, maintenance free salt water purifier that’s guaranteed to extend the life of your aquarium fish.
BLOAT:
Aargh!
PEACH:
The Aqua scum is programmed to scan your tank environment every five minutes.
GURGLE:
Scan? What does that mean? (A LASER LIGHT FROM THE MACHINE SCANS THE TANK MAKING A MECHANICAL SOUND)
AQUA SCUM:
(SOUND) Temperature 28 degrees, PH Balance normal.
ALL FISH:
Ooh.
PEACH:
Nice.
GURGLE:
Curse you aqua scum.
BLOAT:
That’s it for the escape plan. It’s ruined.
NEMO:
Then what are we going to do about it. (DOOR BELL HEARD)
ALL:
Argh! Darla
GILL:
Stay down kid
DEB:
False alarm
GURGLE:
I’m too scared, I can’t take much more of this.
GILL:
I’m thinking, I’m thinking
NEMO:
(SUDDENLY DENTIST APPEARS PLACING NEMO IN A BAG) Help!
BLOAT:
Nemo!
NEMO:
Gill!
GILL:
Shark Bait!
NEMO:
(IN A BAG OUTSIDE THE TANK) Gill I don’t want to go, don’t make me go belly up.
GILL:
You won’t go belly up, I promise you’re going to be ok.
(DOOR BELL RINGS. ENTER DARLA)
NEMO:
I’ll pretend to be dead. (LIES BELLY UP)
DENTIST:
Darla do you want to see your present?
DARLA:
(LAUGHS) I get a fishy, fishy, fishy.
DENTIST:
(SEEING NEMO LYING BELLY UP) oh no!
NIGEL:
(ENTER) Shark Bait! He’s dead! (FLIES OFF)
DENTIST:
Must have left your present in the car. (CARRIES THE BAG TO THE TOILET)
DARLA:
Oh! No!
DENTIST:
I’ll go and get it.
BLOAT:
What’s happening? Why’s he playing dead?
GURGLE:
He’s going to get flushed down the toilet.
GILL:
He’s going to get out of here.
BUBBLES:
What a smart little guy. (SOUND OF FLUSH TANK)
GURGLE:
Is he going to be ok Gill?
GILL:
Don’t worry, all drains lead to the ocean. (CURTAIN)

SCENE
SYDNEY HARBOUR.
NIGEL:
I’m very sorry, truly I am. (SAD)
MARLIN:
(SWIMS AWAY. SAD)
DORRY:
(SWIMS BEHIND HIM) Hey.
MARLIN:
Dorry if it wasn’t for you, I wouldn’t even have made it here, so thank you. (SWIMS AWAY)
DORRY:
Hey. Hey wait a minute. Wait. Where are you going?
MARLIN:
It’s over Dorry, we were too late. Nemo’s gone and I’m going home now.
DORRY:
No you can’t. Stop! Please. Don’t go away, please? No one’s ever stuck with me for so long before and if you leave, if you leave… I just, I remember things better with you. I do. Look, P. Sherman, 42 Wallaby Way, Sydney. When I look at you, I’m home. Please, I don’t want that to go away. I don’t want to forget.
MARLIN:
I’m sorry Dorry, I do want to forget. (SWIMS OFF PAST A SEWAGE PIPE. TWO CRABS EATING.)
CRABS:
Gulp, gulp, swallow, swallow.
CRAB1:
Food from heaven.
CRAB2:
Sweet nectar of life.
CRAB3:
(ENTER)
CRAB1:
Hey hey!
CRAB3:
(MOVES ALONG)
CRAB2:
This is our spot. Go on, get out of here.
CRAB1:
(EATING. CHOMPING. SLURPING)
MARLIN:
(SWIMS SLOWLY PAST. EXIT STAGE)
CRAB2:
Hey hey hey. Yea that’s it fella, you keep on swimming.
NEMO:
(APPEARS FROM THE SEWAGE PIPE) Uh!
CRAB1:
There’s a live one here.
NEMO:
Hey have you seen my dad?
CRAB:
(TRYING TO GRAB HIM) Gotcha.
NEMO:
Huh! (FLEES IN THE OPPOSITE DIRECTION)
CRAB2:
Come back.
CRAB1:
(SMACKING CRAB2) You let him go!
NEMO:
Dad… dad… dad… (SEES DORRY) Excuse me, are you alright?
DORRY:
(WORRIED) I don’t know where I am. I don’t know what’s going on. I think I lost somebody but I can’t, I can’t remember…
NEMO:
It’s ok.
DORRY:
…and I need to remember.
NEMO:
It’s ok, I’m looking for someone too. Hey! We can look together.
DORRY:
I’m Dorry.
NEMO:
I’m Nemo.
DORRY:
Nemo. (PAUSE) That’s a nice name.
NEMO:
Dad. Dad.
DORRY:
Dad. Dad.
NEMO:
Dad!
DORRY:
Dad. Wait a minute. Is it your dad or my dad?
NEMO:
My dad.
DORRY:
Got it. Dad. (READS) Sydney. Argh! Nemo! (HUGS HIM)
NEMO:
Yes! Yes I’m Nemo.
DORRY:
You were dead. The Pelican saw you and then here you are. I found you, you’re not dead and your father. Ah! Your father (CROSSLY)
NEMO:
My father? You know my father? Where is he?
DORRY:
This way, he went this way, quick. (SEWAGE PIPE AND CRABS) Hey!
CRAB1:
Hey
CRAB2:
Hey.
DORRY:
Have you seen an orange fish swim by? He looks just like him.
NEMO:
But bigger.
CRAB2:
Yea I saw him Bluey but I’m not telling you and there’s no way you’re going to make me.
DORRY:
(GLARES AT HIM)
CRAB2:
Alright. I’ll talk. He went to the fishing ground.
NEMO:
Dad. Daddy.
MARLIN:
(ENTER) Nemo?
DORRY:
Nemo’s dad!
MARLIN:
Dorry! Nemooooo! (HUG)
NEMO:
Dad! (HUG)
MARLIN:
Oh thank goodness. It’s alright son, it’s going to be ok.
NEMO:
Dad I don’t hate you.
MARLIN:
Oh no no. Hey guess what!
NEMO:
What?
MARLIN:
Sea turtles, I met one and he was 150 years old. (CURTAIN)

SCENE
REEF.
MARLIN:
Time for school, time for school, get up, let’s go, let’s go.
MR. RAY:
Hop aboard explorers.
MARLIN:
…then the mollusc said to the Sea Cucumber, with fronds like these, who needs anemones.
SHEL, PEARL, TAD:
(FATHERS ALL LAUGH)
TAD SR:
But seriously Marty, did you do all those things you say you did.
BRUCE:
(ENTER BRUCE, CHUM, ANCHOR) Oh Pardon me.
(ALL FATHERS FRIGHTENED) Oh don’t be alarmed.
CHUM:
We just wanted to make sure our newest member got home safely.
DORRY:
Thanks guys!
BRUCE:
We’ll see you next week.
ANCHOR:
Keep up with the program Dorry.
CHUM:
Remember fish are friends…
DORRY:
…not food! Bye.
MR. RAY:
Hold on, here we go. Next stop knowledge.
MARLIN:
Bye son, have fun.
NEMO:
Bye dad. Oh! Mr. Ray please wait, I forgot something.
(HUGS MARLIN) Love you dad.
MARLIN:
I love you too son.
NEMO:
Erm dad, you can let go now.
MARLIN:
Sorry, now go have an adventure.
SCHOOL FLOCK:
Good bye, see you later dudes.
DORRY:
Bye Elmo.
MARLIN:
(GENTLY) Nemo.
DORRY:
Nemo, bye Nemo.
NEMO:
See you after school Dorry! Bye dad.
MARLIN:
Bye son. (CURTAINS)

2 comments: