Wednesday 11 February 2015

The Lion King



Tricked into thinking that he caused the death of his own father, a young cub flees and abandons his destiny as the future King. A musical comedy.
YOUNG SIMBA
ADULT SIMBA
MUFASA
SCAR
ADULT NALA
YOUNG NALA
PUMBAA
TIMON
RAFIKI
ZAZU
SARABI
SHENZI
BANZAI
ED
HIPPOS
ELEPHANTS
ANTS
STALKS
HERD
GIRAFFE

SCENE
MUSIC, ANTS, GIRAFFE, HIPPOS, ELEPHNATS, ANIMAL FORMATIONS AND DANCE.
CHORUS:
“When the deer run on the planet,
Taking a step into the sun,
There’s more to see than can ever be seen…
…..it’s the circle of life.

(ENTER KING MUFASA, THE ANIMALS PART TO REVEAL THE QUEEN AND YOUNG SIMBA. MUSIC ENDS)
RAFIKI:
(ANNOINTS THE CUB)
EVERYONE:
(HAIL YOUNG SIMBA)
MUFASA:
Look son, everything the sun touches is our kingdom is yours.
SIMBA:
Wow!
MUFASA:
A king’s time as a ruler, rises and falls like the sun. One day, the sun will set on my time here and will rise on you as the new king.
SIMBA:
And this will all be mine?
MUFASA:
Everything.
SIMBA:
(AWE) Everything that the light touches? And what about that shadowy place?
MUFASA:
That’s beyond our rules. You must never go there Simba.
SIMBA:
But I thought a king could do whatever he wants.
MUFASA:
Obviously don’t let a big kingdom get in your way all the time!
SIMBA:
You mean there’s more?
MUFASA:
There’s more than just land. Everything you see exists in a delicate balance and as king you need to understand that balance, respect all the creatures, from the crawling ant, leaping antelope... (INTERRUPTED)
SIMBA:
Dad! Don’t we eat the animal?
MUFASSA:
When we die, our bodies become the grass, the antelope eat the grass and so, we are all connected in the great circle of life.
                                               
SCENE
SCAR’S CAVE.
SIMBA:                              
Hey Uncle Scar, guess what!
SCAR:
(SLOW BORED DRAWL) I despise guessing games.
SIMBA:  
I’m the new king of Pride Rock.
SCAR:
(UNENTHUSIASTICALLY) Oh goody.                            
SIMBA:   
My dad just showed me the whole kingdom and I’m going to rule it all, ha-ha!
SCAR:
Yes! Well forgive me for not leaping for joy, bad back you know. (FLOPS ONTO THE GROUND)
SIMBA:
Hey Uncle Scar when I’m king, what will that make you?
SCAR:
A monkey’s uncle.
SIMBA:
(LAUGHING) You are so weird.
SCAR:
You have no idea. So! Your father showed you the whole kingdom did he?
SIMBA:   
Everything.
SCAR:
He didn’t show you what’s behind the rise of that modern border.
SIMBA:
Oh no, he said I couldn’t go there.
SCAR:
And he’s absolutely right, it’s far too dangerous and only the bravest lions go there.
SIMBA:
Well, I’m brave. What’s out…?
SCAR:
Well I promised your Pa I wouldn’t tell you.
SIMBA:
Why not!!
SCAR:
Simba, Simba, I am only looking out for the well-being of my favourite nephew.
SIMABA:
(SARCASTICALLY) Yea right! I’m your only nephew.
SCAR:
All the more reason for me to be protective and an Elephant graveyard is NO place for a young prince, oops.
SIMBA:
An Elephant what? Whoa-a! (DELIGHTED)
SCAR:
Oh dear I’ve said too much. Well I suppose you would have found out sooner or
later and being so clever and all. Promise me one thing, you will never visit that
dreadful place.
SIMBA:
No problem.
SCAR:                                   
There’s a good lad.
NALA:
(ENTER)
SCAR:
You run along now and have fun and remember, it’s our little secret. (EXIT SCAR)
SIMBA:
Hi Nala! Can we go now?
NALA:
Hi Simba! So where are we going? It better not be any place dumb.
SIMBA:
No, it’s really cool. (ENTER ANIMAL DANCERS. ENTER ZAZU. SINGING)
I’m going to be a mighty king,
So enemies beware,
I’m going to be the main event,
As no king has before,
I’m brushing up on looking down
I’m working on my roar!
Oh... I just can’t wait to be king.
No one say do this!
NALA:
(SINGING) No one singing be there
SIMBA:
No one say stop that!
NALA:
No one say see here.
NALA, SIMBA:
We won’t run along all day
We will do it all our way!
SIMBA:
O-oh! I just can’t wait to be king.
NALA, SIMBA:
(SNEAK OFF AND EXIT STAGE WHEN ZAZU IS NOT LOOKING. ANIMAL DANCE
ENDS. LIGHTS DIM.
                  
SCENE
ELEPHANT GRAVEYARD. OUTSIDE THE MOUTH OF A LARGE SCARY CAVE.
NALA:
(ENTER WITH SIMBA) It worked, we lost them.
NALA, SIMBA:
(LAUGHING AND PLAYING. A LOUD SOUND IS HEARD)
SIMBA:
This is it! We made it.
NALA, SIMBA:
Whoa.
NALA:
It’s really creepy.
SIMBA:
Yea. Isn’t it great?
NALA:
We could get in big trouble.
SIMBA:
I know, ha!
NALA:
I wonder if their brains are still in there.
SIMBA:
There’s only one way to know. Come on, let’s go check it out.
ZAZU:
(ENTER) No! The only checking out you will do is check out of here!
SIMBA:
Oh man!
ZAZU:
This is way beyond the boundary of Pride lands.
SIMBA:
Old banana beak here is scared. Ha!
ZAZU:
It’s Mr. Banana Beak to you Fuzzy and right now, we are all in very real danger.
SIMBA:
Danger! Huh! I walk on the wild side. I laugh in the face of danger.
Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha! (A LOUDER LAUGH IS HEARD) HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA!
NA, SIM, ZAZU:
(THEY LOOK AROUND THEM SCARED)
SHEN, BAN, ED:
(ENTER)
SHENZY:
Well well well Banzai, what do we have here?
BANZAI:
I don’t know Shenzy, what do you think Ed?
ED:
(LAUGHS WEIRDLY)
BANZAI:
Just what I was thinking. A trio of trespassers.
ZAZU:
Quite by accident, let me assure you. A simple navigational error.
(TRIO STARTS TO RETREAT)
SHENZY:
Wait. I know you. You are Mufasa’s little stooge.
ZAZU:
I Madam, I am the king’s major domo.
SHENZY:
(TO SIMBA) That would make you …
SIMBA:
(DEFIANTLY) Future king!
SHENZY:
Do you know what we do to future kings who step out of their kingdom?
SIMBA:
Pfft..! You can’t do anything to me.
ZAZU:
Technically they can. Relax.
SIMBA:
But Zazu, you told me that they are nothing but slobbering mangy stupid poachers.
ZAZU:
Relax! Oh look at the sun, it’s time to go.
SHENZY:
What’s the hurry? We’d love you to stick around for dinner.
BANZAI:
Yea, we could have whatever is lying around.
BAN, SHEN, ED:
(ALL LAUGH)
BANZAI:
Wait I got one, I got one. Make mine a cub sandwich. What’dya think?
BAN, SHEN, ED:
(ALL LAUGH HEARTILY)
SIMBA:
Hey! Why don’t you pick on somebody your own size?
SNENZY:
Like you.
SIMBA:
Oops! (NALA, SIMBA, ZAZU ARE TRAPPED. SIMBA TRIES ROARING WEAKLY) Roar.
BANZAI:
Ha-ha, do that again.
SIMBA:
(TRIES AGAIN) Roar!
MUFASA:
(MUFASA’S FEROCIOUS ROAR IS HEARD) Roar!!
(ENTER. STRIKES DOWN HYENAS AND STANDS MENACINGLY OVER THEM)
SHENZY:
Please please please…
MUFASA:
(THUNDERS) Silence!
BANZAI:
Sorry! Sorry! We’re sorry.
MUFASA:
If you ever come near my son again…
SHENZY:
This is your son? (TO BANZAI) Did you know that?
BANZAI:
No! No! Me! I didn’t know. (TO SHENZY) Did you?
SHENZY:
No ofcourse not! Ed?
ED:
(NODS YES VIGOROUSLY. BANZAI ELBOWS HIM HARD IN THE SIDE)
MUFASA:
(ROARS FEROCIOUSLY)
HYENAS:
(EXIT RUNNING)
MUFASA:
Simba you deliberately disobeyed me.
SIMBA:
(SOFTLY) Dad I’m sorry.
MUFASA:
Let’s go home.
NALA:
(QUIETLY TO SIMBA) I thought you were brave.
MUFASA:
Zazu take Nala home. I’ve got to teach my son a lesson.
ZAZU, NALA:
(EXIT)
MUFASA:
Simba. Simba I am very disappointed in you.
SIMBA:
(SOFTLY) I know.
MUFASA:
You could have been killed. You deliberately disobeyed me. What’s worse, you put
Nala in danger.
SIMBA:
(STARTS TO SOB) I was just trying to be brave like you.
MUFASA:
I am only brave when I have to be. Simba, being brave doesn’t mean you go
looking for trouble.
SIMBA:
But you are not scared of anything.
MUFASA:
I was today, when I thought I might lose you.
SIMBA:
Guess even kings get scared huh?
MUFASA:
(NODS) Hmm...
SIMBA:
(WHISPERING) But you know what?
MUFASA:
(WHISPERS BACK) What?
SIMBA:
I think those hyenas were real scared.
MUFASA:
(LAUGHS) ‘Cause nobody messes with your dad. Come here you. (HUGS SIMBA)
SIMBA:
Dad?
MUFASA:           
Hmm?
SIMBA:
We’re pals right?
MUFASA:
(LAUGHS) Right.
SIMBA:
And we’ll always be together, right?
MUFASA:           
Simba let me tell you something that my father told me. Look at the stars. The
great kings of the past look down on us from these stars.
SIMBA:
(WHISPERS) Really?
MUFASA:
Yes, so whenever you feel lonely, just remember, that those kings will always be
there to guide you and so will I.

SCENE
NEXT MORNING. THE GORGE. A LARGE ROCK AND A TREE ARE SEEN.
SCAR:
(PLACING SIMBA ON THE ROCK) Now you wait here. Your father has a marvellous surprise for you.
SIMBA:
Cool! What is it?
SCAR:
If I told you now, it wouldn’t be a surprise would it?
SIMBA:
You can tell me, I’ll still act surprised.
SCAR:
No this is just for you and your daddy. A sort of lion thing. Well I better go get
home.
SIMBA:
I’ll go with you.
SCAR:
(SHARPLY) No!
(LAUGHS. GENTLY) No just stay on this rock. We wouldn’t want anything to
happen again and you end up in another mess like you did yesterday.
SIMBA:
You know about that?
SCAR:
Huh! Everybody knows about that.
SIMBA:
(UNHAPPILY) Really?
SCAR:
Oh yes. Lucky daddy was there to save you, eh? Oh and just between us, you
might want to work on that little roar of yours. Hmmm?
SIMBA:
Erm, ok. Hey uncle Scar, will I like the surprise?
SCAR:
Simba, it’s to die for. (EXIT)
SIMBA:
(PRACTICES A ROAR) Roar. Roar. Roar
(THIS TIME LOUDER) Roar!
(A THUNDERING OF HOOVES IS HEARD. GETTING LOUDER) Stampede!
(CLIMBS HIGHER ONTO THE ROCK AS THE HERD RUSHES BY)
SCAR:
(VOICE HEARD) Mufasa, hurry, stampede in the gorge, Simba is down there.
MUFASA:                  
(VOICE HEARD) Simba! I’m coming son, hold on.
ZAZU:
(ENTER. SITS ON THE TREE NEXT TO THE ROCK)
SIMBA:
Zazu help me.
ZAZU:
Your father is on his way, hold on.
SIMBA:
Hurry!
MUFASA:
(ENTER) Hold on Simba.
(ZAZU FLIES OFF TO SAFETY. MUFASA DASHES INTO THE HERD. LIFTS SIMBA TO
SAFETY. FALLS UNDER THE TRAMPLING FEET OF THE HERD. THE HERD PASSES.
MUFASA IS LYING DEAD ON THE GROUND)
SIMBA:
(SHOUTS IN ANGUISH) No!
Dad?
Dad!
Come on, come on dad, get up.
Dad! I can’t go home alone.
Help! Somebody! Anybody!
Oh! No! (STARTS TO CRY)
SCAR:
Simba! What have you done?
SIMBA:
He tried to save me. It was an accident. I mean… I never meant for it to happen…
SCAR:
Ofcourse, ofcourse you didn’t. No one ever means for these things to happen.
(STERN VOICE) But the king is dead. If it weren’t for you, he’d still be alive. Oh
what will your mother think? Simba run. Run away and never return.
SIMBA:
(EXIT STAGE)
BAN, SHE, ED:
(ENTER)
SCAR:
Kill him and don’t let him escape again like you did yesterday!
BAN, SHE, ED:
(YELP AND DISAPPEAR)
SCAR:
(EXIT)
SIMBA:
(ENTER BEING CHASED BY THE HYENAS)
SHE, BAN, ED:
(ENTER)
SIMA:
(EXIT)
SHENZY:
There he goes, there he goes.
BANZAI:
Go and get him.
SHENZY:
No way am I going to follow him there. I’ll come out looking like a cactus butt.
BANZAI:
You got to finish the job.
SHENZY:
He’s as good as dead out there anyway and if he comes back we’ll kill him.
BANZAI:
You hear that Simba! Never come back. We’ll kill you!
BAN, SHE, ED:
(LAUGHING. EXIT STAGE)
                                               
SCENE
SIMBA LYING ON THE GROUND. VULTURES CIRCLE AND DESCEND ON THE BODY. ENTER PUMBAA AND TIMON.
PUMBAA:
(CHARGING AT THE VULTURES) EEEE-YAAAAA!
TIMON:
(KICKING THE VULTURES) Get out get out get out get out.
PUMBAA:
(LAUGHING) I love this. Holy Muffasits.
TIMON:
(LAUGHS) Gets them everytime, hyuk-hyuk.
PUMBAA:
Timon you better come and look. I think it’s still alive.
TIMON:
Eh? What have we got here? (SNIFFING SIMBA. GETS A VIEW OF SIMBA’S FACE) Jesus Tomalley… run! (HIDES BEHIND PUMBAA)
PUMBAA:
Hey Timon, it’s just a little lion, here look, look at him. He’s so cute. Can we keep him?
TIMON:  
A lion! Are you nuts? What are you talking about? Lions eat! Guys like us.
PUMBAA:
But he’s so little!
TIMON:
(WAGGING HIS FINGER) He’s going to get bigger.
PUMBAA:
Then he’ll be on our side.
TIMON:
That’s the stupidest thing I ever heard, maybe he’ll be … Hey! What if he’s on our side? You know having a lion around might not be such a bad idea.
PUMBAA:
So we’re keeping him?
TIMON:
Ofcourse! Who’s the brains in this outfit?
PUMBAA:
Huh! (LIFTS SIMBA)
TIMON:
My point exactly. Gees I’m fried. Let’s find some shade.
PUM, TIM, SIM:
(ENTER. WATERING HOLE. THEY SPLASH WATER ON SIMBA)
SIMBA:
(MOANS)
PUMBAA:
You ok kid?
SIMBA:
I guess so.
TIMON:
You nearly died! I saved you.
PUMBAA:
(GLARING AT TIMON) Grunt!
TIMON:
Well Pumbaa helped, a little.
SIMBA:
(WALKING AWAY FORLORN) Thanks for your help.
TIMON:
(SURPRISED) Where are you going?
SIMBA:
Nowhere…
TIMON:
Pumbaa he looks blue.
PUMBAA:
I’d say roundish hole.
TIMON:
No-no, I mean he’s depressed
PUMBAA:
Oh! Hey kid, what’s eating you?
TIMON:
Nothing! He’s at the top of the food chain. (LAUGHS) The food chain… So, where are you from?
SIMBA:
Who cares, I can’t go back.
TIMON:
Ah you ran out kid, so did we.
PUMBAA:
What did you do?
SIMBA:
Something terrible but I don’t want to talk about it.
TIMON:
Good! We don’t want to hear about it.
PUMBAA:
Come on Timon. Anything we can do?
SIMBA:
Not unless you can change the past.
PUMBAA:
You know kid at a time like this, my buddy here Timon says, you got to put your behind in your past.
TIMON:
No no no no! Why don’t you lie down before you hurt yourself? It’s, you got to put your past behind’ya. Look kid, bad things happen and you can’t do anything about it, right?
SIMBA:
(SOFTLY) Right.
TIMON:
(LOUDLY) Wrong! When the world turns its back on you, you turn your back on de world.
SIMBA:
But that’s not what I was taught.
TIMON:
And maybe you need a new lesson. Repeat after me Hakuna Matata.
SIMBA:
What?
PUMBAA:
Hakuna Matata
It means, no worries… (SINGING)
TIMON:
Hakuna Matata, what a wonderful phrase,
PUMBAA:
Hakuna Matata, it’s no passing craze
TIMON:
It means no worries, for the rest of your days
TIMON, PUM:
It’s a problem free, philosophy,
Hakuna Matata
SIMBA:
Hakuna Matata?
TIMON, PUM:
Yea, yea.
PUMBAA:
It’s our motto.
SIMBA:
What’s a motto?
TIMON:
What’s the motto with you? (LAUGHS)
PUMBAA:
You know these two words will solve all your problems.
TIMON:
That’s right. Take Pumbaa for e.g. When he was a young warthog.
PUMBAA:
When I was a young warthog (OPERATIC)
TIMON:
Very nice.
He found his aroma had a certain appeal,
He could clear the Savannah after every meal.
(ANIMALS FALL WITH A THUMP OUT OF TREES)
PUMBAA:
I have sense and a soul but I seem thick skinned
PUMB, TIMON:
Hakuna Matata, what a wonderful phrase
Hakuna Matata, ain’t no passing craze
SIMBA:
(JOINS IN THE SINGING) It means no worries
For the rest of your days
TIM, PUM, SIM:
It’s a problem free, philosophy
Hakuna Matata!
TIMON:
Welcome to our humble home (SWEEPS HIS HAND ACROSS THE CROWDS)
SIMBA:
You live here?
TIMON:
We live wherever we want, Pumbaa?
PUMBAA:
Yup! Home is where your rug rests.
SIMBA:
It’s beautiful. I’m so hungry I could eat a whole Zebra.
TIMON:
(CLEARING HIS THROAT) We’re fresh out of Zebra.
SIMBA:
Any Antelope?
TIMON:
Na-ah.
SIMBA:
Hippo?
TIMON:
No. Listen kid, if you live with us, you have to eat like us.
(POINTS TO AN OLD TREE TRUNK LYING ON THE GROUND)
Hey! This looks like a good spot to rustle up some grub.
(DIGS INSIDE THE TRUNK AND PULLS OUT INSECTS)
SIMBA:
Ew! What’s that?
TIMON:
A grub, what’s it look like?
SIMBA:
Ew gross!
TIMON, PUM:
(START EATING)
PUMBAA:
(SPEAKING THROUGH MOUTHFULS) Tastes like chicken. It’s slimy but satisfying. You’ll learn to love ‘em.
TIMON:
And best of all, no worries.
SIMBA:
(PICKING UP INSECTS) Oh well, Hakuna Matata
(GULPS IT AND SMILES) Slimy….. Yet satisfying.
TIMON:
That’s right!
TIM, SIM, PUM:
(JAZZ MUSIC. MARCHING AND SWINGING THEIR HEADS. EXIT STAGE.
RE-ENTER OPPOSITE SIDE. SAME MARCH, STEP, HEAD SWINGING, TIMON, PUMBAA, FOLLOWED BY AN ADULT SIMBA)
TIMON:
(SINGING) It means no worries for the rest of your days
It’s a problem free, philosophy
Hakuna Matata
Hakuna Matata
Hakuna Matata

SCENE
SCAR’S DEN RELAXING WITH ANIMAL BONES AROUND HIM. ZAZU IS IN A (LARGE RIB) CAGE.
ZAZU:
(SINGING WAILFULLY)
Nobody knows the trouble I’ve seen,
Nobody knows my sorrow.
SCAR:
(FLINGS A BONE AT HIM) oh Zazu, do lighten up. Sing something a little…bouncy.
ZAZU:
(SINGING) It’s a small world after all.
SCAR:
No! No! Anything but that.
ZAZU:
(SINGING) I’ve got a cud-d-ly bunch of coconuts,
Dee-dee-dee-dee
There they are standing in a row,
SCAR:
(HUMMING THE TUNE. SCAR JOINS IN AND TAKES OVER)
Big ones, small ones, some with prickly hair…
ZAZU:
(WHISPERS TO AUDIENCE) I’d never have to do this with Mufasa…
SCAR:
(ROARS) What! What did you say?
ZAZU:
(SCARED) Oh nothing nothing.
SCAR:
You know the law. Never ever mention that name in my presence. I am the king.
ZAZU:
Yes Sire, yes sire, you are the king with minor differences in your royal managerial approaches.
BANZAI:
(VOICE HEARD) Hey Boss!
SCAR:
(EXASPERATED) What is it this time?
BANZAI:
(UNDIPLOMATICALLY) Got a bone to pick wit’you.
SHENZY:
(TO BANZAI) I’ll handle this. Scar, there’s no food, no water…
BANZAI:
Yea! Its dinner time and we ain’t got no string of entrails.
SCAR:
(EXASPERATED) It’s the lioness’s job to go hunting.
SHENZY:
They won’t go hunting.
SCAR:
Eat Zazu.
ZAZU: 
You wouldn’t want me! I’d be so gamey and chewy and ew!
SCAR:
Oh Zazu don’t be ridiculous, all you need is a little jar time…
BANZAI:
I do think we were better off with Mufasa.
SCAR:
(ANGRILY) What did you say?
ED:
He said… (NUDGED HARD BY BANZAI)
BANZAI:
I said... kipassa?
SCAR:
Good!
BANZAI:
Yeah but we’re still hungry.
SCAR:
(YELLS) Sarabi.
SARABI:
(ENTER QUEEN SARABI WITH HER HEAD HELD HIGH. FOLLOWED BY HER LIONESSES)
SCAR:
Where is your hunting party? They are not doing their job.
SARABI:
Sire, there’s no food. The herds have moved on.
SCAR:
No. You are just not looking hard enough.
SARABI:
It’s o-ver. There is nothing left. We have only one choice. We must leave Pride Rock.
SCAR:
We’re not going anywhere.
SARABI:
Then you have sentenced us do death.
SCAR:
Then so be it.
SARABI:
You can’t do that!
SCAR:
(FEROCIOUSLY)I’m the king. I can do whatever I want! Go and search harder! Now!
(CURTAIN)

SCENE
CAMPFIRE.
SIMBA:
Burp!!
TIMON:
Ooh nice one Simba.
SIMBA:
Thanks. Man! I’m stuffed.
PUMBAA:
(MOANING) Me too. I ate like a pig.
SIMBA:
Pumbaa you are a pig.
PUMBAA:
Oh! Right!
SIMBA, PUMBAA:
(DEEP SATISFIED) Sigh!
TIMON:
(SINGING SLEEPILY) In the jungle, the mighty jungle, the lion sleeps tonight… 
ADULT NALA:
(ENTER. SHE POUNCES ON SIMBA. PINS HIM TO THE GROUND GROWLING.
PUMBAA, TIMON RUN OFF THE STAGE)
SIMBA:
Nala.
NALA:
(FREEING HIM)
SIMBA:
Is it really you?
NALA:
Who are you?
SIMBA:
It’s me Simba.
NALA:
Simba?
SIMBA, NALA:
(SHOUT FOR JOY) Whoa! (LAUGHS)
SIMBA:
How did you... (INTERRUPTED)
NALA:
Where did you…
NALA, SIMBA:
Whoa …. Wow!
SIMBA:
Where’d you come from?
NALA:
The gorge.
SIMBA:
Wow, it’s great to see you.
NALA:
Did you...
TIMON:
(ENTER) Hey. What’s going on here?
NALA:
Simba, what do you mean, what am I doing here, what are you doing here?
TIMON:
(SHOUTING) What’s going on here!
SIMBA:
Timon this is Nala, she’s my best friend.
TIMON:
Friend?
SIMBA:
Yea!
TIMON:
Hey Pumbaa, come over here. Nala this is Pumbaa, Pumbaa this is Nala.
PUMBAA:
Huh! Pleased to meet you and make your acquaintance.
TIMON:
Whoa, time Out! Let me get this straight. You know her, she knows you, but she wants to eat him and everybody’s ok with this?
(GETTING VERY WORKED UP) Did I miss something?
SIMBA:
(GENTLY) Relax Timon.
NALA:
Wait till the Tribe finds out you’ve been here all this while and (GASPS) your mother, what will she think?
SIMBA:
(HASTILY) They don’t have to know, nobody has to know.
NALA:
Ofcourse they do. Everyone thinks you are dead.
SIMBA:
They do?
NALA:
Yeah. Scar told us about the stampede.
SIMBA:
He did? (GLANCES AT HIS FRIENDS) What else did he tell you?
NALA:
Nothing else matters, you’re alive! (HALTINGLY) …and that means you are the King.
TIMON:
King! Hey have you got your lions crossed!
PUMBAA:
(AWED) King.
(TOUCHES SIMBA’S FEET) I gravel at your feet.
(STARTS KISSING SIMBA’S FOOT) Mwah! Mwah! Mwah! Mwah!
SIMBA:
(PULLING BACK HIS FOOT) Stop it!
TIMON:
It’s not gravel it’s grovel and don’t, he’s not your King!
SIMBA:
No! No I’m not the king.
NALA:
Simba!
SIMBA:
Maybe I was going to be but that was a long time ago.
TIMON:
Let me get this straight, you’re the king and never told us?
SIMBA:
Look I’m sorry. I’m still the same guy.
NALA:
Would you guys excuse me for a few minutes?
TIMON:
Hey! Whatever she has to say, she can say in front of us. Right Simba?
SIMBA:
Mm… maybe you better go.
TIMON:
It starts! You think you know a guy.
TIM, PUM:
(EXIT)
SIMBA:
Timon and Pumbaa, you have to love them.
NALA:
(MAKES A SAD FACE)
SIMBA:
What?!
NALA:
(TURNS HER BACK ON HIM)
SIMBA:
What is it?
NALA:
It’s like you’re back from the dead. You don’t know how much this will mean to everyone. What it means to me.
SIMBA:
Hey, it’s ok.
NALA:
(HUGS SIMBA) I’ve really missed you.
SIMBA:
I miss you too.
TIM, PUM:
(ENTER. SNEAK ON STAGE CAMOUFLAGED BY A LARGE LEAF)
TIMON:
I tell you Pfft! This really stinks.
PUMBAA:
Oh sorry.
TIMON:
Not you! Them!
SIMBA, NALA:
(EXIT)
TIMON:
Alone!
PUMBAA:
What’s wrong with that?
TIMON:
(SINGING) I can see what’s happening,
And they don’t have a clue,
They’ll fall in love and here’s the bottom-line,
Our trio’s down to two.
PUMBAA:
Oh!
TIMON:
(SINGING) The sweet caress of twilight,
There’s magic everywhere,
And with all this romantic atmosphere,
Disaster’s in the air…
(SADLY) … and if he falls in love tonight,
It can be assumed
His everyday with us honestly,
In short our pal is doomed.
TIMON, PUMBAA:
(CRYING LOUDLY)
SIMBA, NALA.
(ENTER)
SIMBA:
Isn’t this a great place?
NALA:
It is beautiful but I don’t understand something. You’ve been alive all this time, why didn’t you come back to Pride Rock?
SIMBA:
Well, erm, I just needed to get out on my own. Live my own life. I did! And it’s great.
NALA:
Now we need you at home.
SIMBA:
Nobody needs me.
NALA:
Yes! We do! You are the King.
SIMBA:
Nala, we’ve been through this, there’s another king, Scar is King.
NALA:
Simba he let the Hyenas take over the Pride Lands.
SIMBA:
What?
NALA:
Everything’s destroyed. There’s no food, no water. Simba if you don’t do something, everyone will starve.
SIMBA:
I can’t go back there.
NALA:
Why?! What don’t I understand?
SIMBA:
No it doesn’t matter, Hakuna Matata.
NALA:
What?
SIMBA:
Hakuna Matata (STARTS PACING) It’s something I learnt out here. Look, sometimes bad things happen and there’s nothing you can do about it. So why worry?
NALA:
Because it’s your responsibility.
SIMBA:
What about you? You left!
NALA:
I left to find help and I found you. Don’t you understand, you’re our only hope.
SIMBA:
Sorry.
NALA:
What’s happened to you? You are not the Simba I remember.
SIMBA:
You are right. I’m not. Now are you satisfied?
NALA:
No! Just disappointed.
SIMBA:
You know you’re starting to sound like my father.
NALA:
Good! At least one of us does.
SIMBA:
Listen! You think you can just show up and tell me how to live my life? You don’t even know what I’ve been through.
NALA:
I would if you just tell me!
SIMBA:
Forget it!
NALA:
Bye! (EXIT)
SIMBA:
(PACING) She’s wrong. I can’t go back. What would it prove anyway? It won’t change anything. You can’t change the past. (SHOUTS TO THE SKY) You said you would always be there for me (SOFTLY) but you’re not. It’s because of me, it’s my fault. It’s my fault.
RAFIKI:
(ENTER RAFIKI WITH HIS WITCHDOCTOR STICK. CHANTING, SLOWLY AND DANCING AROUND SIMBA)
SIMBA:
Come on! Will you cut it out?
RAFIKI:
(LAUGH) He come right back.
SIMBA:
Creepy little monkey. Will you stop following me? Who are you?
RAFIKI:
The question is, who-oo are you?
SIMBA:
I thought I knew, now I’m not so sure.
RAFIKI:
Sure, I know who you are. It’s a secret, shh, come here. I’ll tell you.
(CHANTS IN HIS EAR)
SIMBA:
Argh. Enough already.
RAFIKI:
It means you’re a baboon and I’m not! (LAUGHS)
SIMBA:
I think you’re a little confused.
RAFIKI:
Wrong! I not the one who is confused, you don’t even know who you are.
SIMBA:
And I suppose you know.
RAFIKI:
Sure do! You’re Mufasa’s boy. Bye…. (EXITS RUNNING)
SIMBA:
Hey wait!
RAFIKI:
(RE-ENTERS STAGE. SITS MEDITATIVELY)
SIMBA:
You knew my father?
RAFIKI:
Correction. I know your father.
SIMBA:
I hate to tell you this but he died a long time ago.
RAFIKI:
No! Wrong again. (LAUGHS) He’s alive. If I showed him to you. Look in the pond.
SIMBA:
(SIGHS SADLY) That’s not my father. That’s just my reflection.
RAFIKI:
No. Look harder. You see he lives in you. (RUSTLING OF LEAVES AND WIND)
MUFASA:
(VOICE HEARD) Simba.
SIMBA:
Father. (LOOKS UP AT THE HEAVEN’S OVER THE AUDIENCE)
MUFASA:
Simba, Simba you have forgotten me.
SIMBA:
No. (SHAKES HIS HEAD) No! How could I?
MUFASA:
You have forgotten who you are and so forgotten me. Look inside yourself Simba. You are more than what you have become. You must take your place in the circle of life.
SIMBA:
How can I go back? I’m not what I used to be.
MUFASA:
Simba, you are! You are my son and the one true King. Remember, you are.
SIMBA:
No! Please. Don’t go. Father!
MUFASA:
Remember… Remember… (RUSTLING OF LEAVES AND WIND)
RAFIKI:
What was that, he-he! The weather very peculiar, don’t you tink?
SIMBA:
Yea. Looks like the winds are changing.
RAFIKI:
Ah! Change is good.
SIMBA:
Yes but it’s not easy. I know what I have to do but that means I’ll have to face my past. I kept running from it for so long.
RAFIKI:
(SMACKS SIMBE HARD ON THE HEAD WITH HIS STICK)
SIMBA:
Ow! Gees what was that for?
RAFIKI:
It doesn’t matter, it’s in the past, (LAUGHS)
SIMBA:
Yea but it still hurts.
RAFIKI:
Oh yes, the past can hurt but the way I see it, you can either run from it or learn from it. (SWINGS STICK AT SIMBA’S HEAD AGAIN. SIMBA DODGES THE BLOW)
Ah see, learn from it. So what are you going to do?
SIMBA:
First I’m going to take your stick. (GRABS IT AND FLINGS IT AWAY)
RAFIKI:
Oi… (CHASES THE STICK) Where are you going?
SIMBA:
I’m going back.
RAFIKI:
Yah! Good! Go on, get out of here. (LAUGHS) Challenge your uncle, take your place as King.

SCENE
THE PRIDE LANDS.
NALA:
It’s awful isn’t it?
SIMBA:
I cannot believe it.
NALA:
Why’d you come back?
SIMBA:
I finally got some sense into my head. Besides, this is my Kingdom. If I don’t fight for it, who will?
NALA:
I will.
SIMBA:
It’s going to be dangerous.
NALA:
Danger! I laugh in the face of danger, ha ha ha ha ha ha ha.
TIMON:
I see nothing funny about this.
SIMBA:
Timon! What are you doing here?
PUMBAA:
At your service our King.
TIMON:
You’re going to fight your Uncle for this wasteland? (SURVEYING LAND) Why??
SIMBA:
Yes Timon, this is my home.
TIMON:
Mm… Sure could use a fixer upper. Simba if it’s important to you, we’re with you to the end.
SIMBA:
Nala you find my mother and rally the lionesses. I’ll look for Scar. (CURTAIN)

SCENE
PRIDE LANDS. SCAR’S DEN. HYENAS, LIONESSES, SCAR, RAFIKI, SARABI, NALA, ZAZU, BANZAI, SHENZY, ED.
SARABI:
If you were half the King Mufasa was…
SCAR:
(STRIKES SARABI TO THE GROUND) I am the king Mufasa was.
SIMBA:
(ENTER. POUNCES ON SCAR AND PINS HIM TO THE FLOOR)
SCAR:
Simba, Simba! I’m surprised to see you… (GLANCING AT SHENZY, BANZAI) … Alive!
SIMBA:
Give me one good reason why I shouldn’t rip you apart.
SCAR:
(GETTING ON HIS FEET) You must understand, the pressures of ruling a Kingdom…
SIMBA:
Are no longer yours. Step down scar.
SCAR:
Oh, ha-ha… I would, naturally, however there is one little problem. You see them? (POINTING TO THE HYENAS) They think I’m king.
NALA:
Simba is the rightful king.
SIMBA:
The choice is yours Scar, either step down or fight.
SCAR:
(SHUDDERING) Aargh. Must this all end in violence? I’d hate to be responsible for the death of a family member. Wouldn’t you agree Simba?
SIMBA:
That’s not going to work Scar. I’ve put it behind me.
SCAR:
Then what about your faithful subjects? They put it behind them?
NALA:
Simba what is he talking about?
SCAR:
Ah so you haven’t told them your little secret. Well Simba, now is your chance to tell them. Tell them who is responsible for Mufasa’s death.
SIMBA:
(STEPPING FORWARD) I am.
ALL ANIMALS:
(A LOUD WHISPER GOES UP)
SARABI:
Is that true? Tell me it’s not true.
SIMBA:
It’s true mother.
SCAR:
You see, he admits it. Murderer!
SIMBA:
No! It was an accident.
SCAR:
If it wasn’t for you, Mufasa would still be alive. It’s your fault he’s dead. Do you deny it?
SIMBA:
No.
SCAR:
Then you are guilty!
SIMBA:
No! I’m not a murderer.
SCAR:
(EDGING SIMBA TO THE CLIFFS EDGE) Oh Simba you are a trouble maker, but this time, daddy isn’t here to save you and now everyone knows why.
SIMBA:
(TEETERS ON EDGE DANGEROUSLY)
SARABI, NALA:
Simba.
SCAR:
Oh where have I seen that look before? Oh yes I remember. This is just the way your father looked before he died.
SARABI, NALA:
Simba!
SCAR:
(POUNCES ON SIMBA) Now here’s my little secret.
(WHISPERS IN SIMBA’S EAR) I killed King Mufasa.
SIMBA: 
(ROARS) No-o!
(PULLS HIMSELF FREE. POUNCES ON SCAR) Murderer!
SCAR:
No Simba please, tell them the truth, the truth is that…
SIMBA:
(CHOKES HIM)
SCAR:
(CHOKING) Alright alright. (SOFTLY) I killed him.
SIMBA:
So they can hear you. I killed Mufasa.

LIONS AND HYENAS CLASH TOGETHER IN A FIGHT. ATTACK EACH OTHER. TIMON, PUMBAA JOIN IN.
RAFIKI FIGHTS KUNG-FU STYLE.

TIMON:
(CHASED BY A HYENA, RUNS TOWARDS ZAZU IN THE CAGE)
ZAZU:
Let me out! Let me out!
TIMON:
Let me in! Wait. Let me in! (DIVES BETWEEN THE BARS INTO THE CAGE)
SCAR:
(SCAR BEING CHASED BY SIMBA.  SIMBA CORNERS SCAR. BANSAI, SHENZY, ED STAND ASIDE.)
SIMBA:
Murderer!
SCAR:
(SPEAKING SWEETLY) Simba, Simba please, please have mercy. I beg you.
SIMBA:
You don’t deserve to live.
SCAR:
Simba, erm, it’s the Hyenas who are the real enemy. It’s their fault. Yea, yea.
ED, SHEN, BANZ:
(RETREAT QUICKLY)
SIMBA:
Why should I believe you? Everything you ever told me was a lie.
SCAR:
(COWERING) What are you going to do? You won’t kill your own Uncle.
SIMBA:
No Scar, I’m not like you.
SCAR:
Oh Simba thank you. You are truly noble, I’ll make it up to you I promise. How can I prove myself to you? Anything, anything!
SIMBA:
Run. Run away Scar. Never return.
SCAR:
Yes. Ofcourse. (STARTS TO SLINK AWAY. TURNS AND ATTACKS SIMBA. THEY
FIGHT. SIMBA STRIKES HIM HARD. HE FALLS TO THE GROUND)
SIMBA:
(EXIT)
ED, SHEN, BANZ:
(ENTER)
SCAR:
Ah my friends.
BANZAI:
Ha-ha friends! I thought you said we were the enemy.
SHENZY:
Yea, that’s what I heard. Ed?
ED:
(LAUGHS WEIRDLY)
SCAR:
(FRIGHTENED) No no, I didn’t mean that. (HYENAS CLOSE IN ON SCAR.)

SCENE
ANIMAN DANCERS. ALL THE ANIMALS OF THE FOREST ARE GATHERED.
RAFIKI:
(HUGS SIMBA) It is time.
NALA:
(WALKS ON STAGE HOLDING A NEW BABY CUB)
SIMBA:
Roars. (DELIGHT)

(MUSIC CIRCLE OF LIFE ALL ANIMALS HAIL THE NEW KING)

2 comments:

  1. Is this script legal to use for a school production?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing the script!!! Educational purposes, not for profit: no legal problem.

    ReplyDelete